Thursday, February 4, 2010

The interesting times of being a conspicous family

I thought I might take a few posts in the next weeks to address adoptive family issues.  Since we are a conspicous family, we get lots of inquiries.  One of the purposes of this blog is to educate on adoption and such so I'll be addressing common questions and misconceptions. 
People like to ask us questions about our family being transracial.  Some questions are generally curious, some are sweet
just uneducated, and some are downright rude and intrusive.  I like the ones that children ask.  Children don't dance around the issue, they just ask what is on their mind.  
One really stupid question that adults use to ask us after Abby came home was "So, do you plan on telling her she's adopted??" 
HUH?  I mean seriously, she will be looking at herself in the mirror and notice that hey, something's different here!  Abby noticed very early, like age 2.  She use to rub my fair skinned freckled arm and then rub her mocha colored arm. 

This was the first time Abby drew herself with an eye for skin differences, at age 5.  Before then, she'd always drawn herself with white or peach colored skin.  I scanned the picture and saved it in her memory box.  I think it is so precious!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment