Monday, January 11, 2010

More pics and thoughts


Streets of Port au Prince


One of the precious 61 parentless children in the orphanage


Children lined up in a tiny dirt floored church waiting to get their Christmas Shoeboxes


Looking through the goodies


Me in the carved out tree crossing the river--the woman version of Man Versus Wild :)


Another clinic out in the jungle

Stories from Haiti.  It was hilarious.  No, really, I don't think I've ever seen a team of people mesh so easily and have so much fun together.  We laughted our booties off.  Believe me, there was plenty to laugh at!

Here I am using my skirt to cover for my friend while she uses the outhouse

And here are the village people watching the strange "blanc"(whites) laugh hysterically while trying to use the bathroom and not touch anything!!

You have not truly lived until you've peed in the jungle with a pig, a goat, and a group of curious people watching you!

Haiti was great!  I don't want people to get the wrong impression.  It isn't all bad or sad.  One of the guys on the trip offered a great comparison.  He reminded us of skiing.  There are bunny slopes that are tiny hills to get used to.  Some people want a bunny slope mission experience:  stay in a hotel, go out during the day and pass a little food out, maybe paint a church or something, but not get uncomfortable, dirty, or touch the people.  Then there are triple black diamond slopes that are at the summit of the mountain, have  lots of moguls and are for daredevil experts.  Our trip in Haiti was a double black diamond.  We didn't want to play it safe(I'm glad I only had 4 days notice or I would have chickened out for sure!).  We knew the Lord had gone before us and could use us mightily, if we'd let Him.  This team was flexible, cheerful, and appreciated adventure with eternal Kingdom purposes.  We wanted to see the people on the outskirts, where help rarely comes.  Our medical clinics were very interesting.  I'd say 80% of the adults(the children had lots of problems) had nothing wrong with them.  But, they'd never been to a doctor and loved having me listen to their heart and lungs.  They'd giggle while I did, like it was a fun treat.  I did see a few sick people.  One young woman had a heart rate of 140 and complained of weakness and no appetite.  Well, I had zero equipment.  At my cardiac unit at the hospital, the docs would have done several tests and tried several treatments.  I had a thermometer, an otoscope, a stethoscope and that was it!  I told her to go to a hospital if she could and gave her some baby aspirin.  One little boy came with a 105 degree fever, stiff neck and could barely stand up.  We were really afraid of meningitis and pleaded with the parents to take him to a hospital.  They had no money and couldn't.  We gave him tylenol and motrin and prayed like crazy for John(his name).  I saw at least 5 young women with loud heart murmurs.  I'd bet $100 that they each had heart valve problems from untreated rheumatic fever as children.  We are SO SO fortunate here in the states!  Be grateful.  Don't complain.  Lord, help me not to grumble when things look a little tough!  May the lessons of Haiti increase my faith!

Oh, another funny story.  There were voodoo drums beating late at night, probably a 1/2mile or so from our compound.  We could hear them.  One of the guys, Bill, was so dry and funny.  Thursday morning he came out of the bathroom and serious as a heart attacked announced, "You know guys,  I don't think that was voodoo drums we heard, I think it was the toilet gurgling."!

I'll share the crazy last 2 days later and how my dear husband stood in the gap and prayed for my safety.

1 comment:

  1. Libby! How awesome your testimony is and how I would love to join you sometime on a mission!! It is something I so want to do once I am able to be away for a period of time (new baby time, if you know what I mean). I will work on my passport this year so I am prepared to go!!!! I love all the pics and updates you sent and Mike graciously provided...you are truly a blessed woman who follows the Lord's word!

    ReplyDelete