Monday, September 7, 2009

Monday afternoon update




We got word this morning that Abby's foster mother couldn't come today. We will meet with her tomorrow. That bumped our DMZ tour that we had scheduled for tomorrow. No worries, flexible is our middle name :) So, we basically had nothing to do until our meeting with Hudson at 2pm. We went to Namdaemun again for gifts. It was misting so we bought umbrellas--you know how frugal(Okay super cheap) I am, I'm calling my umbrella a souvenir!!! We ate lunch in the Kyobo bookstore food court again. I had my same Bulgogi with rice, Abby branched out and ate another hamburger! Mike went crazy and got a big bowl of soup with noodles and mushy pink rimmed tofu with no taste. He said the soup and fried dumplings were really good. We were lazy and took a taxi back to Eastern. I'm all about the subway, but sometimes your feet are begging for a taxi ride.


I'd like to say that my little man is quite the fashionable dude! I kid you not. He was wearing Thomas the Tank socks with little bright yellow plastic shoes. I'm not talking Crocs here folks. I'm talking fake wooden shoes from Holland!!!!!! I couldn't concentrate on how adorable his fat cheeks are cause of the shoes!! Mel and Kate, I immediately thought of how you 2 would get a huge kick out of it. And, to top it all off--she is sending us a brand new pair of these with him!!


Hudson---- Well, how do I describe this meeting. It started out terrible but ended up great! He walked into the hall where we were sitting and stopped dead in his tracks, looked at us and closed his eyes!! This kid is hysterical and very smart. He knew something was up. We walked to the park with him, his foster mother and social worker, about 2 blocks away. This created quite the parade. Several ladies walking down the street wanted to know what the fuss was about and they followed us. I kept trying to hold his hand and he yanked it away. Mike couldn't even look his direction. At the park, we desparately tried to find the balance of engaging Hudson and yet giving him space--this was done, to our dismay, under the watchful eyes of 3 grandmothers at the park with their little grandchildren. They all wanted in on the story and I could her Hudson's foster mom saying "omma, appa, nuna" the Korean words for mom, dad, and big sister. It was very unnerving. Hudson eventually started warming up to me and to Abby. His foster mom and the social worker went to hide behind some bushes while we tried to play. He decided Abby was pretty cool(she looks much more normal than Mike and I do!). He took her hand and led her around. It was adorable. After a while, we walked back to Eastern. Hudson let me hold him. He was so tired, it was naptime. He even put his head down on my shoulder for a few minutes. Have I said how BIG this child is. I was a sweaty pig at the this point from carrying him up the slide several times, not to mention the spit up chocolate on the front of my pink shirt that plopped out of his mouth when crying. Then we went into the little play room. He started to take a bottle but wanted to play with Abby instead. The 2 of them played while we looked at the gifts the foster mother brought us. There was a gorgeous hanbok(the colorful silk traditional Korean outfit and hat), 3 photo albums documenting his life from 2 months of age. I started crying and so was the foster mom. Then the social worker translated what was hand written in the photo album "We love you, we hope you grow up to be a strong man." Let the tears flow from Daddy! This baby is a part of the family. The foster mother's 19yr old daughter is in college in Japan. She is flying in tomorrow to say goodbye to Hudson. Tracy W, it gets even worse than this! Her 22 yr old son is in the army. There was a picture of him with Hudson and he's wearing his camos. I had a silver locket engraved with Hudson's name and birthday and put a tiny picture of his face in it. She showed me that she was wearing it and just cried and cried. Okay, enough of the tears--whew--this is hard stuff people!! He is so beautiful and funny and we are amazed at the miracle God was worked this year to bring us together.


Tonight my friend and fellow waiting mom lands here. She will meet her 22months old baby girl tomorrow! I can't wait to meet her. She and I have been waiting together for several months and held each other up when it was so excrutiating.


Wednesday, we tour the DMZ. Mike is super pumped about that.

6 comments:

  1. Ohhhhhh Libby! The pictures are great. So glad he is becoming a "bit" more comfortable with you! Truly it is a blessing that Abby is with you guys I think... No, I know! I am sure she feels very honored that he is becoming at ease with her!:) I have been praying for your family and sweet Omma to. I keep thinking really what a blessing it is that he has had such a wonderful Foster family. He has been loved and that is such a good thing! I also pray that before you guys leave that Hudson warms up to Mike. Even if it is in some small way, like a quick glance in his dierection or a smile. It must be so hard for Hudson to be weary of him still. However, I know that will not last long. You guys are awesome parents and he will know that too in NO TIME!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ms. Libby, this is Elaine Bayer's oldest daughter, Jordan. I was reading your blog and it reminded me of my first time in Korea. Tell Abby I totally understand!! I was about her age when I went and EXTREMLY shy. Traveling with my mom & 3 other women didn't help things both because they were white, older then me, and they sure blend in! But I felt that I should blend in and it bothered me that I couldn't. I like my personal space so getting grabbed, touched, and receiving those lovely "love taps" was definitely not the highlight of the trip (even in the plane). I also hated that I couldn't speak Korean. But the random gifts from people were kind of funny. I eventually got so tired of it I got smart and started walking with our tour guide, Mr. Chae. I realized that I didn't get pulled aside when I was with another Korean, but I still didn't feel that I belonged because I wanted to be with my mom, Ms. Bev and our two friends. Even though I felt out of place at times I loved having the experience of going back to the country where I was born. I love it so much and I still wish everyday that I could go back, and someday I will. On that trip we brought our friend’s 4 month old son home to them so like Abby is doing now I was able to experience what my journey was like when my parents adopted me.
    My mom and dad took my sisters and I back last year with Ms. Bev, Cameron took it totally different because unlike me she wasn't really into it. It was fun but she just wanted home and she really never had any questions like I did. Let’s just say she and I are just different. Tell Abby if she ever wants to email me you can ask my mom for my email and I would love to be someone she can talk too.
    Your new son is so adorable! Hope this helps you understand what Abby is probably feeling.
    Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Libby, so glad you got to meet Hudson and hold him finally.

    I love reading your blog and comments about Abby as it reminds me of May and bringing Kaelin and Chelsi to pick up Jaemin. It's such an amazing experience to be a mom and experience this with them and watch them.

    Enjoy the rest of your stay.

    Lisa, mom to Cole, Chase, Kaelin (ESWS), Chelsi (Holt) and Jaemin (SWS)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jordan, thank you so much for your honest and sweet posts! Abby is very shy too and it has been tough for her to engage strangers. I'll have her read your comments when she is awake. Thanks again,
    Libby
    PS. Elaine, I love ya girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Libby - I have been thinking of the three of you this past week, and what a roller coaster you have been on. I love the pictures - Hudson is such a cutie!!!! God has truly blessed your family with FOUR beautiful children!!

    Love you & miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, what wonderful descriptions you have of your trip to your baby boy. So happy that you are spending time with Hudson and he is starting to get used to you. I look forward to seeing your first family photo. The Lord is good to us, isn't He?

    ReplyDelete