Wednesday, January 13, 2010

what now?

First of all, thanks to my friends and family who have called, emailed, or sent messages on Facebook.  I'm safe and that is the great irony.  I should feel so happy to be home and safe.  Yet, I'm heavy hearted.  I only was there a week and yet made sweet friendships.  Knowing that some of the people I met and touched may likely be trapped in rubble sickens me.  I was planning on posting a pic of Hudson's 4 new teeth(he got white caps on his rotted top teeth Friday) and congratulating Carter on getting a lead role in the middle school spring musical.  It all seems insignificant now.  The team leader with me in Haiti is in the adoption process of a 2.5 year old girl at th orphanage we were working at.  She is so sad and my heart hurts for her. 

Last week I drove by the President's palace, today it is collapsed


The slums in Port au Prince

The people at our first stop, a church in a part of Port au Prince called Delmas, an area hit really hard


This was the church in Delmas, last week anyway


Our sweet servant and friend Markes(the young man in blue).  He is so bright and humble.  Markes translated, carried our supplies, used his body to shield our team from the desparate crowd that got out of hand, this young man who wants to come to the US and be a doctor.  He was in Port au Prince.  Please God, spare his life!

So, what now?  I guess the only things to do is pray and donate.  There are many good places to donate.  Dillon International(our adoption agency) has an orphanage and hospital in Port au Prince, you can donate here https://secure.groundspring.org/dn/index.php?aid=22119 
We support an organizaation in Haiti called Food For the Poor  http://www.foodforthepoor.org/ and they would be a great place to donate
the place I stayed at last week in Haiti would be awesome too  http://www.gvcm.org/
and Samaratin's Purse, Franklin Graham's ministry is great too!

Thank you all for caring for the least of these.  May we see God's work and may He bring beauty from ashes.  May the American church pour into Haiti with love and resources.  If I could get on a plane and go work in medical tents I would.

1 comment:

  1. I found your blog on Google and read a few of your other posts. I just added you to my Google News Reader. Keep up the good work. Look forward to reading more from you in the future.

    This is really a well laid out website. I like how you have presented the information in full detail. Keep up the great work and please stop by at my site adult washcloths sometime. Keep it up..

    ReplyDelete