Friday, January 1, 2010

Ready to go!

At least I think I am.  I'm not really sure how prepared a person can be to spend a week in a third world country with 3.5 days notice!!  HA!  Still reeling at this crazy turn of events.  Honestly, I'm feeling like I'm sinking in the "ready" department.  In case you thought otherwise, I'm not a super woman with no fear.  Fear isn't the right word, more like reservations.  I'm not afraid at all.  I am, however, very very sad about leaving my family.  My heart is ripping right now.  Dillon keeps asking me why I'm going on a trip and telling me he doesn't want me to go.  OUCH.  The momma guilt is setting in severely.  Iif something happened today and the trip was called off, I'd be really disappointed but also relieved ;)


 I know there are many people who would like to tell me that I have no business leaving my family for a week to go to Haiti.  That my poor husband shouldn't be left with 4 kids, one who is still new to us, while I go off chasing dreams of ministering to starving people and orphaned children.  Thankfully, those people are keeping it to themselves.  Mike, actually, was and is very supportive.  He told me to go and is in awe of how God orchestrated this trip.  What a man.  I'm telling you, I have the most amazing husband in the world.  I take him for granted often, but today, I really really am blown away by his selfless love and sacrifice.   Thank you Mike!  We both want our kids to grow up loving people of other colors, races, and nationalities.  We want them to desire to serve others, not themselves and to value people and experiences, not money and security.  Maybe they will learn that from watching us?  I must go and I want to go.
 
I also feel woefully unequipped for this.  The person I'm replacing was a doctor.  Man, the team got a bum deal on that one.  I have no MD training and can't diagnosis illness. It has made me really start thinking that I'd be so much more useful if I went back to school and became a Nurse Practioner.  Hmmm, maybe someday?? Not to mention that I know zero Creole or French.  Now if we were heading to a Spanish speaking country, I'd be in good order.

So, am I ready?  Well, I am packed.  I've got some new songs and several Robert Morris sermons loaded on my ipod. I'm praying for favor with the airlines to let the team check all 20 bins of supplies, for grace, peace, patience, and wisdom for me and the team, for my kids to be peaceful and well behaved at home, for Mike to have extra patience and endurance, for Hudson to feel loved and not upset that I'm gone, for the Holy Spirit to infuse me with wisdom when I'm treating people with unknown ailments and there is no doctor around, for the children in the orphanage to feel that somebody does indeed love them and care!  I'm also praying that seeds from this trip will be planted in other people's hearts, even some of you reading, to be willing to go and spend themselves with the poor, the sick, the orphaned.  I'm praying that the Holy Spirit will plant a love for the orphan in people's hearts and many more Christians will start adopting.  Uh oh, watch out :))

There ya have it.  Straight from my heart.  Mike might be able to post some of the updates the team leader will send back home.  I don't think I'll have any access to a computer.  See ya later and thank you in advance for your prayers!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment