Thursday, January 21, 2010

Homecoming for Eva,ramblings about us, soapbox

First of all, I want to report that Christi texted me at 1:45 am that they, indeed, had baby Eva in their arms!!!  I'm so humbled and grateful that 2 weeks ago I got to see this darling 2yr old in her orphanage in Haiti and Christi crying, loving on her.  We had a long conversation about not seeing how it would all work out, but that she knew in her heart, since first seeing her a year ago, that Eva was their daughter.  What a blessed homecoming!!

As for us, I think we are all finally better.  After the vomiting began a week ago today, everyone went back to school/work.  Mike lost 7 pounds.  I wretched so hard that the blood vessels around my eyes burst and I have tiny purple dots around my eyes.  Abby was still puny, but went on.  Dillon, bless his heart has had it the worst.  After 3 days of walking around hunched over and in pain, he woke up better.  Our pediatrician cleared him for school this mornig and I took him straight there :)  When we walked up to his class the kids all crowded around him saying "Dillon's back!"

Warning, if you don't want to get offended, don't read.
So, on to my vent for the day.  I'm a bit frustrated that suddenly, so many people care about Haiti's orphans.  I've been praying for Christians to be burdened for the worlds' 143 million orphans since we first brought Abby home almost 9 years ago.  I've told everyone we know what a blessing it is to adopt!  Probably 75% of the time, people smile and say how nice that is for us, how they wished they could adopt but couldn't afford it or are too busy or their husband didn't believe in adoption, or they maybe they are nervous about being a transracial family.  Now, after seeing the horrible conditions these kids are faced to endure on CNN, all the Christians care.  I know, I'm tired(haven't slept throught the night in about 3 weeks) and PMSy so this sounds rude.  But, it's the truth guys.  Very few people(approx 300 Haitian children were adopted to US families last year) wanted to adopt from Haiti before.  People watch the news and the tragedies and devastation and they feel sorry for the kids and emotionally get involved.  Adoption is a life-changing, forever choice.  It is wonderful, fun, sometimes painful, beautiful and the greatest picture of Gods' love for us.  I'm just wishing all these people would have cared a long time ago, before the tragedy.  On the brighter side, I am THRILLED to see the huge outporing of compassion and interest in adopting these precious children. I have no doubt that most of the families inquiring to adopt Haiti's children are genuine and sincere familes. Thank you CNN for doing such a fantastic job and showing the world the quakes most vulnerable victims.  But what about the children living in orphanages in Ethiopia, India, China, Nepal, Russia, the 200,000 children living in US foster care????  They all need us.
Good thing I have to approve comments before they are posted ;)

2 comments:

  1. I feel the same way about all the people all of a sudden being so concerned about Haiti's orphans. We looked into adopting from there when we started our journey, but were way too young to do so. We've always had a heart for the people in that country. It's okay to tell the truth when you're sleep deprived and pmsy! Maybe we should do this when we're fully rested too?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand what you are saying, Lib. The only thing that holds me back from jumping on your soapbox, is that I believe we all deserve an opportunity to be pierced right through the heart for His children in His timing. For me, this was personal and prior to even thinking about having children, let alone adopting, adoption to me was "such a great thing...for some people."
    We as christians are trying to seek His face which leads us on a fantastic journey. The timing in which we learn who we are in His body and as we walk with Him, discover how amazing it is to be ruined....BEAUTIFULLY ruined for His glory. For some that have been watching the Haiti tragedy, that timing is now...and Glory be to God for how he is stirring the hearts of His people.
    But, I do love your heart on this subject. That is just my 2 cents!

    ReplyDelete