Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Uh oh, she's got new books and lots of passion!

Yipee, I've got new books to read and be inspired by!  Susie lent me a book called The Organic God by Margaret Feinberg.  I'm only on the 4th chapter, but it is really cool so far.  The author is a free spirit and had an unusual upbringing AND is a woman!  I love to read wonderful and challenging(think--not cheesy!) books by women.  I knew I'd like it when she stated this in the first chapter
   I can't be the only one who looks at the seemingly rich buffet of everything this world has to offer and loses my appetite, because even with countless provisions, friends, and activities-many of which are not only good but could be classified as goldly-I can't shake this sense that there's more.
 The hunger growls that there's more of God not only to uncover but to discover.

My dear friends told me about Pastor David Platt and his new book coming out.  I'm giving you advanced notice--If you thought I was a bit on the edge and outspoken about things before, after I read this book, I might be really wild! ;)  It is called Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream  Oh, I cannot wait to sink my teeth into that one!  If anyone out there has read these or wants to jump in and share about your walk with Christ and how you are being challenged, please drop me a comment. 

It seems that God is drawing Mike and I out.  When I say out, I don't necessarily mean packing up and moving to Africa.  I just mean  more out of the worldly junk that surrounds us!  It is like he is giving us a great glimpse of what life looks like when you totally live to please Him.  I will be the first to tell  you, we stink at it so far!  We are learning though.  Mike has come into contact with some people who've shown him what the persecuted church experiences around the globe.  In Adult Bible Fellowship Sunday, he shared a video produced by Voice of the Martyrs.  The Christians in an asian country(don't want to say where cause you never know what looney is reading on the internet) face severe persecution and yet the underground church is flourishing and Jesus is changing lives.  We all cried through the video.  It was amazing and inspiring.  He mentioned some really exciting things that our family might do someday!  Remember me harping on how great The Outward Focused Life by Dave Workman is??  Well, Mike has read it and run with it!  He has a great plan for him and Carter this summer.  They are going to pack our minivan with some coolers of water, a few changes of clothes and food and get in the car with a map.  They are going to pray and ask God to lead them to people who need ministering too, then, they will set off.  No plans, no agenda, just follow the Lord's promptings and serve!  They will return in 5 days.  Mike will take the laptop and post stories and pics on here for anyone interested in following their adventure.  It is called "The OFL trip"(pronounced awful).  Get it?  Outward Focused Life??

Well, enough for now.  Someday soon I'll share a bit of my religous experiences as a child.  Might shed some light on why and who I am.  Oh, and a dear old friend of ours passed away Saturday.  He was truly amazing and I'm going to write a post in the next day or 2 and share what he taught us about really living!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your heart and what God is doing in your life. You are such an inspiration and blessing to me.

    Karen (from Dillon forum)

    ReplyDelete