Friday, March 12, 2010

New country programs

More countries are opening up for adoption.  I just read about a brand new program today that I'm excited to share with you.  The Democratic Republic of Congo has a new international adoption program.  It is brand spanking  new and so therefore, there will be many bumps along the journey to the Congo.  But, I'm super excited about it for personal reasons.  You see, my dad traveled to the Congo 2.5yrs ago to help set up an eye and glasses clinic.  He said many of the same things I said about Haiti:  the poverty and need is staggering, the people are beautiful, imaginative, joyful, bright and loving.  There are thousands and thousands of orphaned children living in institutions. 6 in 10 children die before their 5th birthday.  If you are interested, go to rainbowkids.com and read about the Congo.

 Here is my dad holding a precious little one in the Congo.

Since we are talking about needy children, I am sooooo thrilled to let you all know that Carter's 30Hour Famine fundraising page already has 290.00 dollars!!!!!  This will feed a person for about 10months.   If you are feeling led to donate copy and paste this in your browser
http://www.30hourfamine.org/portal/onlinegiving/donate/102171915-002

1 comment:

  1. thanks for sharing the news about the Congo! Ethiopia just changed their in country stay so now you have to make TWO trips - bummer. I'll be checking out the Congo program. don't you love Rainbow Kids :)

    ReplyDelete