Sunday, March 14, 2010

Ski Trip

C..a...n...t      S....l....e...e...p!!!!  UGH.  Here we are on a lovely vacation and my sleeping woes caught me.  I was super exhausted after todays fun that I went to bed at 8pm.  At 10pm my head was throbbing(will get to that story in a minute) that I took a half tab of Vicodin.  You see we keep an old bottle of Vicodin from Mike's ankle surgery in our med closet for emergencies--like 2 out of shape people whose muscles and bones are older than their brains remember!  So, for our trip so far.  Did I mention that we are staying in a wonderful and spacious 2 bedroom condo in Ruidoso for FREE??  It is great.  May God bless our friend double big for this blessing.  Yesterday we hit the moutain with gusto.  It is a winding and steep drive up to Ski Apache, at least for us Texans who call a tiny hill a mountain.  You know the kind of road that if you look over the side you see yourself tumbling down?  Well, the kids and I were saying "keep your hands on the wheel daddy!'  Carter was keeping us in stitches when he blurted out "Jesus take the wheel!!"  We did make it fine.  The mountain was covered in a fresh blanket of 18inches of snow 2 nights before.  Abby, Carter, and I took ski school and Mike went off to see if he could regain his old skiing might.  I have skiied once before--15 years ago!  Needless to say, I was the star of our class :)  The instructor kept using me to show and lead the group.  I was feeling fairly confident in my abilities.  I could see from Abby's posture that she didn't like it.  Abby is one of those kids who once it is in her head--dog gone it, she's done.  Stubborn she is(just like her momma)!  As soon as her class was over, she was building up the "I'm not gonna do it" in her mind.  She is very very smart and creative--athletic and muscluar she isn't.  I insisted that she could not give up so soon and that I'd teach her myself.   We headed for the beginner chair lift.  She was nervous, but we very smoothly boarded.  We smiled and high-fived our getting on the lift so easily.  Bad idea!!!  At the dismount, our skis became tangled.  Down she went and took me with her.  Unfortunately, the lift kept going and smashed right into the back of my head.  I truly thought I was going to pass out.  I lay there clutching the back of my head for a few seconds.  I could hear Abby saying "Are you alright momma?"  and I made myself get up.  Stars were spinning above me like the old cartoons and my stomach was churning.  I touched the back of my head and there was blood!  So, off to the first aid station we went.  I had Abby call Mike's cell phone just in case I did pass out.  You guys know how I am about money so you won't be shocked when I tell you that my first thought, lying there in the snow was how we couldn't afford another hospital bill!  Glory to God, the medic checked my laceration and it didn't need any sutures.  He did ask my if I'm always "that pale" to which I assured him that I am.  I wore some oxygen and rested a few minutes.  I'm not proud of this, but Abby and I never got on a lift again!  The good news is that we didn't waste money on buying she and I lift tickets today cause we both knew there was no way we'd get on one!  So, we improvised.  We would ski down the bunny slope then shlep our poles and skiis back up and ski down again.  Yep, I'm pooped!  Carter, on the other hand, has taken to the sport quite beautifully.  Mike took him to the top today and other than an "accidental" trip down a black that was way too hard for Carter, he is doing fantastic.  Tomorrow the boys are spending one more day on the mountain and Abby and I are taking it easy at the condo.  It is supposed to be 28 degrees and snowy tomorrow.  I'm really having to conquer my huge bent toward worry and fear and let God be God over my son.  It is really scary knowing what might happen.  I hate being a worrier!  Here are a few pics



You may be wondering where are our 2 "so cute it should be illegal " little boys?  They are happily staying with Mike's mother and then will go to my mom's.  We offered Dillon the chance to go--over and over and over.  He was adamant that he didn't want to come and kept saying "scary like monster."  He must have his familiar routine that is safe, has plenty of snacks, and doesn't require him to experience a lot of new sights, sounds, and/or anything fast or loud!  As for Hudson, this is his first time to spend a few days away.  We miss him, of course, but seeing other parents of toddlers who are cold, tired, and crying--we made the right decision. 

No comments:

Post a Comment