Thursday, January 5, 2012

Trimming the fat in 2012

Several days ago I was jogging in the early morning.  I just happened to be listening to David Platt teach on "The Gospel and Materialism" (sermon from mid October) on my ipod.  This post-Christmas trash heap was outside a neighbor's home.  Creeper--yes, I am, I ran home and got my camera.  I just couldn't help it.  I wanted to be reminded of all the trash that materialism generates.  Platt was interviewing Katy Davis of Amazima Minstries(click the button on the upper right side of my blog to read about her work in Uganda).  Simply amazing, humble, radical, and counter-culture living. 




What does that have to do with us, with me?  I so desire to not forget, to remain cognizant that about 25,000 children will die today from starvation, untreated diarrhea, and contaminated water.  I want to trim the fat from our comfy middle-class life and be able to help.  A trip around our house revealed some startling info about having more than we need.
Dillon has 40 short sleeved shirts(includes play Tshirts, school Tshirts, and nice collered shirts).  We didn't buy all of them, many were given to him.  And, I just love thrift stores, so many are second-hand.  However, what 9yr id needs 40 shirts??  No one, I tell ya.  Hopefully in 2012 our family can trim some fat and share.  These kids at the feeding program Mike visited in South Africa sure don't have 40 shirts.

We are going to try to eat at home more.  I really want to plan my menu and grocery shopping better.  The couponing went out the window after 8 weeks.  I just don't have the dedication.  Better planning and control of my impulse decisions will help.
We also want to not waste so much gasoline.  Folks, Texas is HUGE.  We drive thousands and thousands of miles each year.  Yesterday alone, I made 2 trips into the city and Mike made 1.  Do you know how much gas and money-not to mention time that is? 
So, a few more snip-snips here and there will trim some fat so we can honor Jesus and give to the poor.  More than anything, I want our children to grow up understand they are blessed and that they must share.


2 comments:

  1. I've made lots of strides in trimming our grocery budget. If I have a moment this week I can make list of my 2 week meal plan as well as Some of my tricks. You can email me too. I don't use coupons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. try this link. She puts up a monthly meal menu that I use since I'm bad about planning: www.confessionsofahomeschooler.com

    ReplyDelete