Wednesday, January 25, 2012

it works for little ones too

Back to the Love and Logic.  Yesterday morning I had to do something and I'd told Hudson to play in his room.  He cannot be alone for 2 seconds and must be near me Always!!  I heard his door slam and I went to investigate.  He was sitting on his floor surrounded by Dillon's DS games and he was holding Dillon's wallet.  BUSTED!  I reigned in my usual response, which is anger, and went for shock and awe folks.  Just as I learned in Love and Logic, I mustered up the saddest and full of empathy voice I could.  I said "Oh Hudson, I am sooooo sad that you chose to disobey mommy by getting down Dillon's DS games.  And what are you doing with his wallet.  As soon as the word sad left my lips, his eyes squinched up, his mouth opened and he wailed!!!!  He wailed and wailed and wailed--heartbroken sadness.  I didn't even have to do anything.  So, I held him calmly while he was a basketcase(once he begins down the slope of tears it lasts a long time--this is a common issue for children who've experienced trauma and disruption of attachements in their lives).  Just as Love and Logic states, I got to be the good guy and we were so sad about his choice of disobedience.  Amazing.  I'm hopeful that I can stop reverting to my flash of anger and  use sadness instead.  Try it.

2 comments:

  1. There are also GREAT Love and Logic books out for parents with children with chronic health issues and a book just for educators. Love and Logic is such a great teaching approach in family and in school. What resonates with me is that it discplines from love and not from anger. How often as mom's do we have like you said a flash of anger and then are the ones that need to apologize! Now if I would just consistantly use love and logic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read love and logic when our oldest was 2. I had forgotten about it until I read this. I totally need to get it back out! We still haven't heard from Dillon about the January EP. Typically they've been issued the first week of Jan and here it is the last few days. Rumor has it that there will be none issued this month???? so many rumors though on the internet!

    ReplyDelete