Thursday, January 19, 2012

too many changes coming

When Mike and I were newlyweds, he served as a full-time youth and music pastor in west Texas.  There was a certain teen boy who had some special needs.  God was preparing us for our future way back then.  One of the "Davidisms" that Mike and I quoted for years and years was "Too many changes."  You see, David was becoming a man and not a kid in the youth group anymore.  Mike and I were moving on to a new adventure and poor David felt lost in this new world without his beloved Mike(Mike taught him to shave and wear deoderant).  Now, I'm using the phrase "Too many changes."  I dont....like....this!! 
Carter turns 16 in 2 weeks and we are preparing to get his driver's license.  He is going to look for a job.  The day he drives away from this house, without Mike or I, I'll hit my knees in prayer!  We are planning our summer family vacay to the beach and I realize that he may not get to come with us.


Abigail JooMee is talking about how in 7 months, she'll be 12 and gets a cell phone(6th grade seemed like a long way away when we made that agreement!).

Dillon, well, God knew I needed Dillon.  When I wake him up in the morning for school he asks me "How was your sleep momma?"  He is growing and changing and becoming more mature too, but there is still that sweet child.

Hudson, the 4 year old going on 20!  He corrects me, spells things, sings constantly, and begs to go to school.  I filled out his preK enrollment papers last week.  Next year he will go to TCA 5 mornings a week.

I'm being left in the dust.  All I've ever wanted was to be a mommy and have people need me.  My youngest sister started kindergarten when I moved off to college.  I couldn't wait to move back home after the first semester.  I'd pick her up from school and we'd hold hands and sing Sandy Patti's Friendship Company.  When Mike and I got married, I couldn't wait to have a baby and would stare at people with babies.
Now, nearing age 40, it is over.  Closing a door on a 20 something year fixation.  Too many changes...
And, just to clear something up...no...I don't want another one :)

1 comment:

  1. I totally get this!!! Everytime we make plans this year--I keep saying--Oh my goodness this is Austin's last ____________. Because on July 18th he heads out the door to boot camp and then onto ???? Only God knows his future.

    Your right about one thing---you will be praying more!

    ReplyDelete