Monday, December 28, 2009

Sometimes I'm just floored!




You guys will NOT believe this.  Literally, God dropped a 1/3 priced short term mission trip in my lap.  Basically, we've been praying and starting a little savings for a mission trip. We just figured I'd be going back to Nicarauga since I loved it there. But, some friends of ours lead teams to Haiti several times a year. This morning I found out that someone on their team backed out and I got a spot with a free flight!!!!!!! So, in about 3 hours, we made the decision to jump in. I fly out this Friday night.  CRAZY I know, but you all know I'm a bit wild anyway.


Get this, I'll be on a medical team that does burn clinics during the day, we are distributing 3000 Christmas shoeboxes AND we are staying in an orphanage and helping with the 100 children there and distributing bags of rice. The team leader told me that the village children who don't live in the orphanage try to get in there because it is the safe place where children actually eat.  Haiti is the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere and we will see everything from starving children, burn victims with no medical care to voodoo temples. Could this fit me any better??? I don't think so.

Mike and I ran up to Goodwill and I bought 4 long flowing skirts(a cultural thing there for women to wear skirts) and cheap cotton shirts.  I don't think I'll be taking many pics showing much of me in them ;)

So, Please please pray for Mike and the kids while I'm gone. My nerves are shot, but I'm super excited and so is MIke.
This has been quite a year.  The Lord has rocked our view of "normal" and shown us His mighty power!  We have learned that our timing is just that---ours.  He has a perfect timing that we just need to go with.  I'm humbled, in awe, and pumped up to see how the God of the universe is involved in all the details of our lives.  May I work hard, not complain, be flexible, love the people openly, and basically be Jesus with skin on.  I can always work more at my job and accumulate more money and stuff---but this, this trip is the chance of a lifetime and will most certainly affect the way I look at the world from here on out!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment