Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Bottles and Bonding, Serving and a Challenge from my heart...

The best advice we ever got regarding adopting a toddler:  bottle feed at bedtime.  Do not let the child hold the bottle, do not listen to the dentist about stopping the bottle, do not feel stupid about this ritual.  I really think this one simple act has fostered more attachment than anything else.  He looks at me with black almond shaped eyes and I say his Korean name over and over.  Sweet!!!



Here is Abby putting together packs of diapers for the Great Diaper Giveaway on Thursday!  I'm so pumped.  My friend, Susie, my sister Melody and my Mother, and I are meeting in front of the WIC office in a dowtown, lower socioeconomic neighborhood to hand out free diaper packs.  I'm practicing my spanish, since that is mainly the ethnic group this place represents:  Panales Gratis, Jesu Cristo te ama! (Free diapers, Jesus loves you).  I'll let you know how it goes.

And, a word on a different subject.  I seem to offend fairly easily when it comes to my passion:  orphans and adoption.  No, everyone isn't called to adopt or be a foster parent.  BUT, I stand adamant that the Bible commands Christians to care for these children.  Yes, every single stinkin Christian is commanded to CARE(once again, I didn't say adopt)  for the fatherless.  If you don't believe me, do a Bible study on caring for fatherless, and orphans.  If we all went without fast food, sodas, and treats for a year, how much money could we give to orphaned children in Uganda dying of AIDS?  I follow a blog of a young American woman in Uganda who cares for these children.  One of the boys is 7yrs old, dying of AIDS and weighs 15 pounds.  Yep, 15 pounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Write me to tell me if you find otherwise.  Need direction in knowing how to help? 
Check out Love Without Boundaries, your local Dept. of Human Services foster program, orphanCare International, Amazima Ministries, Shaohannah's Hope, Food for the Poor, that should give you a good start.

1 comment:

  1. I love love love this pic of you and Hudson! You need to put that one in a scrapbook! Oh yeah...you don't do creative things I forgot! :-) Put it an album then!

    ReplyDelete