Monday, May 21, 2012

here's what I learned being sick last week.

I almost feel sacrilegous saying anything about being sick.  Surely, my pneumonia was no severe illness and I'm bouncing back nicely.  I mean, in my  job, I take care of really sick, and chronically sick people.  No way am I comparing myself to those people.  However, I think God has used this to teach me some lessons I needed learning.
I'm learning patience and the value of health.  I'm used to being a crazy active busy bee.  I tried walking about a mile this morning and coughed constantly for about 2 hours.  I feel good, even great!  But clearly, I'm not back to 100%.  It is very frustrating because I want to run in the early morning, like I've been doing for years.
 I've been trying to relax and read Proverbs.  One thing that I'm concerned about is our savings plan.  I missed 1 week of work.  Thankfully, I have sick time and we have investments for future needs.  However, as far as liquid savings for "what if", we are not in the place we should be.  But, Mike and I don't believe in storing lots up.  In fact, the Bible teaches that hording for ourselves when others are so needy is sin.  However, the Bible also teaches about planning for the future and being good stewards.  Somewhere in the middle is God's will for our lives.  Our family values generous and outward living.  We'd much rather live on less and be able to donate to people adopting or going on missions, or heck, we love to go on mission trips ourselves and typically spend several thousand dollars a year on just that.  But what about being a wise manager and have savings for when hard times come?  That was a big wake up call.  What if Mike or I did get really sick and burn through short-term disability and savings?  I guess that is where we seek the Holy Spirit's leading for our family--somewhere between living outward focused and below our means and yet planning for the future and taking care of our family. I don't guess we ever will figure out exactly what is "right."
Which leads me to another revelation.  I've been doing number crunches lately.  I'm a hypocrite about budgeting!  Please forgive me for pretending to be good at managing my family's finances.  The past 6 months we've stunk it up!  I'm just sick at what we've dumped down in the drain at the local grocery and superstores.  We could put so much towards paying Mike's truck off early. Poor planning is all it has been.  As of June 1st, I'm back on track.  Menus, lists, and taking cash only to the grocery!!  I need a budget accountability partner.  Any takers?
And lastly, I learned that I love my job.  Hats off to stay at home moms and all!  This chic loves working 24 hours a week outside the home.  I miss it and am glad to be returning on Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment