Friday, March 23, 2012

Re-entry

Carter is dealing with the typical post mission trip blues.  Re-entry frustration is very real.  I remember coming home from Haiti. People would ask "How was your trip?"  What they want to hear is "great!" and that is really it.  What you want to say is "awesome, heartbreaking, fun, scary, amazing, awful and every other adjective wrapped up...wanna hear some of my experiences?"  To which they get this glazed over look like they knew they shouldn't have asked.  It isn't that people aren't interested, they are and they mean well, I really think they do. See, after intense experiences like that, you are changed from the inside out.  The people here didn't experience what you went through--both good and bad.  They can't relate.  They mean well and want to, but it isn't the same.  He's frustrated because he has so much life that was lived out in South Africa, but little opportunity to connect with others about it.  He misses the team of 10 people that he was with every waking hour for 10 days.  That type of living in community is just not something you replicate in day to day life.  So, he is drinking hot tea with milk after school...."like we did in Africa."  He wants to leave the doors open to get a breeze..."like we did in Africa."  And, he is frustrated at shallow friendships after being so intensely connected with a group of people. If someone handed him a plane ticket to return next week, I know he'd jump on it.

Speaking of jumping on it, I have an incredible non-coincidence coincidence story to share.  Another unbelievable connection and opportunity dropped in my lap!!  Just make yourself available, be sincere when you say "Lord, my life is yours...do what you wish with it."  You won't believe the amazing things that come up.  However, I don't feel led to share it right now.  Later.

2 comments:

  1. Ugh! A cliff hanger ending! :) But I look forward to hearing all about it when the time is right. I am so thankful that God has grown Carter and that he is humbled beyond measure now. No, I can not relate, but I do have good friends whose hearts remain in Uganda and are called to return permanently. She stayed in the house, in bed for a week after returning and is forever changed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that feeling. People want to hear how great and wonderful everything was. Most don' want to hear about the hunger, poverty, HIV/AIDS. What they don't understand is you do leave part of your heart there. Those people you left are "your other family."

    ReplyDelete