Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Is that you God?

 I'm reading The Power of a Whisper: Hearing God, Having the Guts to Respond by Bill Hybels.  Mike and I certainly have struggled with wondering if we were hearing God telling us something to do or if it was just our own imaginations or longings.  Tough question for sure.  This book offers some very practical tips for believers to discern God's whispers into their lives.  I talked with a close friend last night and she and her husband are trying to seek out the Lord's will for their lives regarding a leap of faith that could really blow some minds!  I'm excited for them and yet I certainly understand how hard it is for them to figure out if that is really what they should do.   Last night  these were the words I read in the book:
  Don't ever buy into the idea that everthing God prompts his followers to do will be uncomplicated or low-cost.  Sometimes God asks his children to carry heavy loads, as he did with the apostle Paul.  But even-and often especially-under those backbreaking burdens, God's purposes are fulfilled.

Another few nuggets from Pastor Robert Morris makes it even easier:
  When I believe I've heard a word from God He confirms it by:
        His principals(the Scriptures never contradict what He prompts us to do) 
        His people(godly counsel will pray with you and agree or disagree that you are hearing God)
        His peace(sense His calm---Just because it takes great faith to follow through doesn't  mean He won't give you His peace).

I hope that these words will minister to someone out there.  I've certainly enjoyed learning more about hearing God's whispers.

1 comment:

  1. Libby, Gosh I love you! You are such an inspiration to me. I was going to suggest that if you needed a buyer for some of the books you read, I would be interested:)
    amyh

    ReplyDelete