Thursday, October 21, 2010

Heard a funny comment

You adoptive families will get a chuckle out of this.
I was in town a few weeks ago for lunch with a friend and met a lady.  She had twin babies and I admired them.  Hudson was with me so I'm assuming she felt some kind of infertility connection or something.  Out of the blue she said "They are ours genetically but I didn't carry them.  We used a surrogate."  Okay, so I smiled and wondered what I was supposed to say.  Later in the lunch I mentioned my 4 kids.  The mom of the twins was astonished at me having 4 and said "We just have these 2, if we ever have more, we will just adopt.  Surrogacy is a long and strenous process!"  I grinned and said "Yeah, so is adoption."
In no way am I diminishing how difficult it is to bring children into the world via surrogate.  But, so many times it seems like people have the view that you go to a baby store and pick out wich version of kid you want to adopt.  Viola!  Kind of like a cabbage patch baby doll.  My friends who've been fostering 2 toddlers over a year and are fighting losing those babies to distant relatives who just happened to show up a year later would certainly argue that adopting is a long and strenous process!!

1 comment:

  1. Uhhhh....glad to know adoption is quick and easy. I've been mistaken for quite some time. About 3 1/2 years to be exact.

    BonkLand

    ReplyDelete