Monday, October 4, 2010

Conference Reflections

     Here is my update from togetherforadoption.com conference. Disclaimer....I unapologetically am going to state what is going on around the world and why people should care.
     First off, the numbers are truly staggering and horrifying! The newest statistic estimates that there are 163million orphaned and at risk children in the world(including 500,000 foster children in the US). Obviously, we are not making good ground in our efforts.  Every Bible believing church body should be involved, somehow, in the global orphan crisis. It is absolute fallacy for people to say things like "well, that is for infertile people and missionaries to worry about."  The Bible mentions caring for the poor and oppressed 2100 times. Caring for orphans and the fatherless is mentioned 60 times. James 1:27 says Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
118,000 kids in the US foster care system are legally ready to be adopted--waiting--for a family.  What if your church made the decision to empty out your city of children in the foster system--desperate for a family? 
1/5 of foster kids who age out of the system, who never got adopted, will end up homeless before turning 19yrs old
Within two years of leaving a Russion orphanage-~15% of all orphans have committed suicide while another ~60% are involved in criminal activity (gangs, drugs, prostitution).

Most conservative, Evangelical Christians are more than willing to picket abortion clinics and campaign to vote prolife, BUT, how many are willing to take care of the children born in difficult circumstances who can't be parented by birthparents?

     One of the keynote speakers was David Gibbons, pastor of Newsong. He talked about a story that Francis Chan tells. Chan gives a great story to illustrate how we ignore the Bible's mandate to care for orphans. For example, he tells his daughter "I want you to clean your room." She is gone for a few hours and comes back saying "Daddy, I know what it means to clean my room and I memorized what you said about cleaning my room". Yet, she did not clean the room. A few hours later, she comes in and says "Daddy, I know what it means in the Greek to clean my room." Yet, her room is not clean. A few hours later his daughter comes back and states "Daddy, my friends and I have prayed and talked about cleaning my room." Yet, she never actually cleans her room. This is a poignant illustration of how churches read the Word, memorize verses, preach sermons and have Bible studies, prayer at prayer meetings and yet never actually do anything about it!  I'm certainly not saying that if your church doesn't have an offical orphan ministry that it isn't obeying God's word. But, every church should be supporting and caring for orphans somehow.
Here is a short video that documents what happens to the children nobody cares for.  Pause my music player far down to the right to hear the kids.




As for me, what did I learn?  I went to the "launching an orphan ministry in your church" track.  It was led by the truly amazing staff from Hope For Orphans. Click Here for their website.  All day I was mesmorized by these brilliant men who are passionate for the orphan and adoption.  I had the overwhelming sense that "This is what I was made for."  My nurse job provides insurance for our family and helps pay bills, but someday, Lord willing, I believe I'll work for them.  I've been praying about going back to school to begin working towards becoming a nurse practitioner.  After the conference, I have little desire for that.  I really feel that full-time orphan and adoption education and ministry is my calling.  I'd like to travel around the country educating and inspiring churches to get involved.

So, how do we help these children?  Glad you asked!  Buy an awesome shirt, like mine, from 147millionorphans.com.  Each purchase feeds an orphaned child in Africa--and they look super cool


Open your heart and begin praying about adopting or fostering.  Give money and emotional support to another family who is adopting by donating to grants like Show Hope(click HERE).  Have an Orphan Sunday even on November 7.  ClickHERE for resources.  Launch an orphan care ministry at your church.
Sponsor children through various organizations like World Vision and Compassion Int.  Gather shoes and toiletries and take them to an orphanage in a 3rd world country.

So, as you can see, it was just an amazing time.  We cried, worshipped, prayed, made friends, got educated, networked, shopped for cool shirts, and yes, if there had been a booth to sign up to bring more kids home--I'd have signed up for a bunch! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment