Monday, June 7, 2010

The International Adoption Delivery Room

This is a throwback, waaaay back!  I wrote this several years ago while reflecting on Dillon's referral in Feb of 2003.

James 1:17a  Every good and perfect gift is from above
     I have just hung up the phone.  The decision has been made.  Yes, we will choose to parent this two months old baby boy we read about on three pages of faxed, impersonal information.  Any minute now, a picture should be transmitted via email.  Praise the Lord for modern technology!  I click the refresh button a  hundred times.  My husband is at work and expecting the same computer aided first glimpse of our new son.  Funny, when pregnant, peole love to talk about who the baby will resemble.  Once born, the new bundles is bright pink and has squished up features.  Grandparents proudly claim inherited traits from their side of the family.  Adopting a child transracially grants much more of the surprise element.  Sure, many mothers-to-be report having dreams of what their new child will look like.  Generally, we have no idea.  This is our second Korean adoption so we are familiar with the beautiful Asian traits.  I envision plump cheeks, almond eyes, and that adorable stand-up hair. Oh, there is a message in my inbox!!  Slowly, the attacment for Myeong Cheol opens.  The face of an angel looks back at me.  He is a small two months old with no hair.  Huge black eyes burn their image into my heart.  He has tiny rosebud lips and two bare feet sticking out of a sleeper.  We are forever bonded; mother and child.

No comments:

Post a Comment