Tuesday, June 22, 2010

speech-still praying

Guys, I'm asking for some more serious praying for a miracle for Dillon.  Bless his precious little heart, he can't speak clearly.  He has a fairly severe articulation disorder.  We've had him in speech therapy since he was 11months old.  He is 7.5yrs old now.  We are barrelling towards 8yrs old and I'm getting panicky.  When a person can't speak clearly, it doesn't matter what their brain is capable of doing, people immediately peg that person as "retarded."  I despise that word, but alas, that is what people use(I know, I hear it in the workplace all the time-- used often as a joke--not funny!).  The school systems have never given him speech during the summer so we hire our dear private therapist.  She works wonders with him and he responds well to her.  It isn't in the budget, but a sacrifice that is certainly worth it.   Here's the deal, we want and expect a miracle.  Please join us in praying for Dillon.  A few weeks ago he was wanting to tell us a story about something that happened at school.  He struggled to tell us and after asking him to repeat it 3 times, his lower lip began to quiver and his eyes pooled with tears.  It is so cruel!  I used to pretend like I understood everything and would nod my head and say things like "uh huh, and really?".  I've decided to be hard.  We can't let him slip into laziness.  People in the world will not pretend to understand him.  We have to make him try harder. 
Speaking of prayer, Mike and I are learning a lot of things that we were never taught in the church.  We love listening to Francis Chan(author of Crazy Love) podcasts.  Man, that dude is radical for the truth of the gospel and is  not afraid to  say exactly what the Scriptures say--not watered down or politically correct.   We can't expect healing and such with unconfessed sin in our lives.  Please, do NOT hear me say that Dillon's speech disorder is punishment for sin, no way am I arrogant enough to claim those kind of judgements!!!!   Yes, God is a god of love and He is a good god, but God is a holy and pure God, not a vending machine that we put in our requests and get what we want. 
James 5:16

16Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.
So, I'm going to examine my life and confess sin that I've been harboring and then I'm going to ask my Heavenly Father for healing for Dillon.  Will you join me?

1 comment:

  1. I know how hard it is. Ananya is almost 5 1/2 and we get a few words from what she says. Usually not even 2 word sentences. I realize alot of days that homeschool is going to include alot of teaching to her until we get her to a level to type well. Then I'm sure it is going to come all spilling out. I'm praying for Dillon.

    ReplyDelete