Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Stole my mom's post--A New Name

Here's the deal. I have a 20 page paper on in-depth health assessment due by 0800 tomorrow. I don't have time to think of much clever or wise posts.  My mother is the women's pastor at her church and wrote a really good post on her women's ministry blog.  I copied it(and  no, I haven't told her yet). It is really good and I think you'll be blessed.

Last night at our Kick-off, we talked about names; how we got our names, what we like and don’t like about our names, what name we have wanted to be called, and what our names mean.

I like my name, Jeannette. I think it is a pretty name. It means gracious, or gift from God, and I like that. BUT, somehow, it does not seem right for me. It is too long and sounds too formal. Often, when I hear it, I feel like I am in trouble, because it sounds harsh.



Our names are important, but they are given to us by our parents before they know what kind of person we will be. The name may not reflect the person at all. According to the Bible, God has a remedy for that.


Isa 62:2…and you shall be called by a new name
that the mouth of the Lord will give.


Rev 2:17 To the one who conquers I will give some of the hidden manna, and I will give him a white stone, with a new name written on the stone that no one knows except the one who receives it.'


God often changed the name of people in the Bible. He gave them new names that reflected their new character or their new calling. Abram became Abraham, Jacob became Israel, Simon became Peter, Saul became Paul. I think that God has a new name for each one of us. I imagine that at the time of the coming of the New Heaven and New Earth, that He will tell each of us our new name. It will be a special name that only He knows, a name that will perfectly reflect each of us, a name that will connect with your heart. Each of us will have a unique name. In heaven, if I say Nancy or Emily, I won’t have to say which Nancy or Emily. There will be only one. God has infinite wisdom and infinite creativity, so there is no end of names, so He won’t have to repeat. Each individual person, with unique gifts and abilities, unique ways of thinking and processing things, each one will have a unique name that God made up just for you!

P.S.  It is time to register for Kairos.  If you want to join me Oct 21 at Gateway for a conference on freedom, emotional healing, breaking free of besetting sins and generational strongholds, sign up!  My sister is on staff in the freedom ministry dept there and it is a top-notch conference.








No comments:

Post a Comment