Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Chinese Eyes

Funny conversation overhead yesterday:

I was sitting in the courtyard at our school waiting for Carter to come out.  Abby, Hudson, and Dillon were with me.  There were 2 kindergarten students sitting near us.  I overheard them talking and it was too good to not share(you transracial adoptive families will totally relate).
  Little girl- "She has Chinese eyes, he has Chinese eyes, he has Chinese eyes, but she doesn't have Chinese eyes."
  Little boy- "Ohhhhh, I get it, adopted, adopted, adopted, not adopted."
  Little girl- "Maybe she has Chinese eyes too, but we can't see them because of her sunglasses!"

These innocent and curious child conversation crack me up.  I don't mind the natural curiosity of children.  What drives me batty are the stupid adult comments like "Where did you get her?"  Uh, she's a person, not a handbag!

FYI, there is an old adoption book called Chinese Eyes that tells the story of an Asian girl and her Caucasion family.  It is a bit wordy and the adoption lingo is a little out of date, but the story is pretty powerful.

1 comment: