Friday, September 16, 2011

Attention challenges

One of our kids has attention and organization challenges.  I'm  not talking about the usual kid type stuff, it's more severe than that.  Anyways, I thought some of you out there may be struggling with the same thing.  Here is what we've learned.
Grades schmades:  really, in the grand scheme of things, who the heck cares what you made in history?  We aren't aiming for Harvard.  We are aiming for whatever it is that God has called this person to do in life, to serve Him
Use color:  use colored-notebooks and highlighters for homework and notes.  Lots of color stimulates these kids minds and grabs their attention
Get physical:  these kids need to run it off
Let them listen to music:  Really, listening to music(not blaring drums) during homework can help
Be creative and try new strategies
Don't blow up and blame the kid all the time:  Soooo hard to not do!  Confession time, I threw a computer mouse across the room a few nights ago.  Trying to help your kid write a paper can push you over the edge.  My outburst was shocking to  the child and now, you all know, I'm a looney mother just like everyone else :)
Last but not least:  choose your battles.  Does having the closet clean with clothes hung up really deserve to be a hill worth dying on?  NO.

I'm reading "Learning Outside the Lines."  It was written by 2 guys who were labeled ADHD and Learning Disabled as children and basically labeled as stupid and problem kids.  They finally came into their own and graduated from Ivey League colleges.  It has awful language and is more for college students, but I'm learning  good tips.

1 comment:

  1. What a great post! I am totally getting that book! I need it. I have a child with attention challenges, who is a very different learner but wayyyyy creative. Trying to remember all the positives (there are tons) that this type of child has is difficult (to say the least) at times. My brother is an "ADHD" kiddo who actually graduated from Harvard Law :) ...we never dreamt he would graduate high school. He would tell you he never dreamt that either. Amazing story of God totally changing a life. Anywho.....I appreciate this pos, thankst.

    ReplyDelete