Thursday, July 21, 2011

Encouraging you to go break a sweat

This post has nothing to do with living for Jesus, adoption, raising children, budgeting, or my usual focus posts.  But, I really believe a lot of you will benefit from reading.
One of my classes right now is Health Promotion.  The instructor is not very likeable,  but the course is very good.  I am really really encouraging you all to read Move Yourself by Tedd Mitchell et.all.  It is put out by the doctors at the world famous Cooper Clinic in Dallas.  Basically, you will reap huge health benefits just by moving a little.  They call the typical American lifestyle Sedentary Death Syndrome.  Even 15minutes, 3 days a week, of physical activity will lower blood pressure, lower blood sugar, and melt belly fat.  Interestingly, if you are the type who stores excess fat right around your belly button instead of butt/thighs, you are at much greater risk of developing diabetes, hypertension, coronary artery disease and such.  So, they stress Waist management, more than Weight management.  Be encouraged, visceral(or belly fat) responds quickly to exercise. 
I viewed a slide show this morning about how portions have doubled in the last 20years.  ClickPORTIONS if you'd like to see it.
Here's good news:  your iPhone can help tremendously.  Mike has lost over 30 pounds since Jan 1 using Lose It, an app on his iPhone.  Everyday he logs his food intake and his exercise.  It displays calories in and calories burned.  He looks amazing and his having fun telling people that "this summer both me and my Honda Accord hit 200(for the record, he is 6'1)!"  For example, I swam laps for 20minutes in our community pool.  I logged it into Lose It and it shows that I burned 173 calories.  Then, I logged my food and drinks for the day..so far(2 cups coffee with French Vanilla creamer, 1/2 banana, bowl of Fiber One cereal, and a cup of orange juice).  According to the graph, I've consumed 586 calories and burned 173.
So, take this info and run with it--literally :)
I'm a cardiac nurse and sure don't want to see anymore men in their 30's getting stents!

No comments:

Post a Comment