Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Chip away at it

Hopefully this will minister and encourage some of you like it has to me.  I've been reading Nehemiah the past few days in my yearly Bible reading program.  You know what is amazing about the story in Nehemiah?  The walls of Jerusalem were in ruins, there were only a few(compared to how many people used to be) people returning from exile, and the few Isrealites had little resources.  They used what they had, where they were, for God's work.  In an amazingly short amount of time, with enemies breathing down their backs, the people repaired the walls of their city.  They built the section of the wall that was directly near them, with their bare hands and skimpy tools;  toiling day and night to make a difference.  When they were done, the nations near were afraid of the Isrealites because God's power was made so evident.  It hit me...this is no different than today.  We fight for God's glory and honor, and we go about Kingdom business, chipping away one piece at a time.  I was so discouraged Sunday night.  My plea posting(on here and Facebook) for the little boy in SE Asia needing a family was met with Zero responses!!  Oh, lots read it(my stat counter says that 160 people have looked).  Yet not one person was willing to verbalize "Yes, we stand in agreement that this child needs a loving family ASAP."  I was mad, heartsick, and tired.  But, God's word revealed to me that I have to be faithful in repairing the broken walls in my area of influence.  I'm not called to rescue every one of the world's 160million orphans.  I'm called to faithfully do what God has called our family to do.  The results are up to Him.  What broken walls has He called you to start repairing??  To quote a great preacher  "Use what you've got, where you are, for who He is"!

1 comment:

  1. Libby, I didn't ignore the post. I would gladly bring him home. I'm almost certain we don't qualify and we are already in the middle of an adoption.
    Speaking of. Thank you. I had some disturbing news today and your post helps. I need to read that book. I know God will bring Varsha home. I'm just tired from working 60 hours a week to make it happen because so many chose to not help us.

    ReplyDelete