Sunday, June 12, 2011

Why serve ONE hour? Because children matter

I spent 2 days last week helping my sister-in-law, Shana, with the 40 girls she brought to Girls Adventure camp.  She has taught 3rd-6th grade girls about Jesus and missions for many years.  Their church has made children's activities on Wednesday nights a priority.  And, let's be frank, many are not well-behaved and have no idea how to act in church. They send the church van around to gather children who want to come, but whose parents are not involved or interested.  The children get a free supper before the activities.  Camp is the culmination of the year.  It is at an encampment in west Texas that has been around long time(Mike used to go there for youth camp).  Everytime I go, I feel like I've stepped into a bit of a time warp, where kids learn to shoot at a target, snow cones are only 50 cents, and you get to eat mini corn dogs and jello on a foam tray.  As I've said before, teaching children is not my favorite thing to do, but I did enjoy my time there.

 I was blown away by my sister-in-law and her commitment to these girls.  Can you imagine spending 5 days with 40 little girls?  Constantly, they were surrounding her saying "Miss Shana, Miss Shana, Miss Shana."  She answers them with "babydoll, sugar" and such.  Many were desparate for a mommy's attention.  Friday morning I french braided 5 girls' hair and one of the girls said "I've always wanted my hair braided."
The town where they live(the same town Mike grew up in) is a sweet, small rural community.  There aren't many jobs left .  Everybody knows everybody.  Shana's church is a beacon of love for the children.  I am shocked at the number of unchurched, poor children that Shana serves in this ministry.  The stories of some of the girls is absolutely appaling and heart-breaking and they are so desperate for a mommy's attention.  A few of the girls are children of minority, migrant workers.  They live in the type of poverty I incorrectly thought was only in inner-cities. 
These girls come to Shana's class every Wednesday for one hour.  That one hour is when they have fun, are free from worries, hear that they are special and made with a great purpose, that Jesus loves them, and that some adult really cares.  One hour, that is all.  But that one hour is life-changing for many of the girls. 

So, why do Christians need to serve in children's ministry?

Because One hour can be the saving grace for a little child.

No comments:

Post a Comment