Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The App for all you frugal mommas!

I'm not a wacky extreme budgeter and couponer, really I'm not(although I am totally aware that of my obsessive personality).  Usually, I get all crazy and obsessed with budgeting, jogging, or most recently couponing, and it last about 3 months.  Then I'm back to my mediocrity.  Fact is, I have to be a little extreme.  We've made choices in our lives that require certain sacrifices and such:  4 precious children(3 international adoption)s, trips to several foreign countries, Christian school, I have always worked part-time, tithing and giving.  Plus, it seems like everything we own breaks so that costs a lot too(just found out this morning our lawn-mower has self-destructed and we need a new one)!  Not only all that, but my desire is to be a good steward.  The Bible teaches that if you aren't faithfully managing the little things, God won't entrust bigger responsibilities to you(my favorite book on this type of stuff is The Blessed Life by Robert Morris).
If you are in a similar situation, I have a great tool to suggest.

An app for you:  Budget
It costs 99 cents on the iTunes app store.  I log in every dime that we spent.  All budgeting pros will tell you to take a spending journal.  I've tried this many times, but after about 3 days, I totally forget to write stuff in the little spiral notebook I'd carry.  My iPhone is with me constantly!  Heck, I don't even see how people function without one, I'm so used to it and dependent(and in love with it) on the darn thing.

Recent victory:
My couponing skills are still evolving.  I had the hardest time getting the groove of clipping, sorting, watching sales circulars, and then the ever important matching up of coupons to sales.  That, my frugal friends, is the key, the match up.  But, with the help of my friends Jenny and Jessica, I'm starting to understand the process.  Sweet websites have helped too(kingdomfirstmom.com, couponing101.com are 2 I use).  Finally, my triumphant moment a few days ago.  I carefully perused the Kroger ad and matched my coupons to what was on sale.  And, love Kroger for this, I loaded the e-coupons from Kroger's website to my rewards card.  I made a meal menu for 4 days based only on the sales flyer.  This is completely opposite of my old ways:  make a menu, then go shop with no regard to what was on sale or coupons.  I only purchased 5 items for regular price.  Every other item was on sale and/or I had a coupon to match.  I saved 35.00 dollars!!  Small potatoes to extreme couponers, but I was thrilled.  It was like a drug...intoxicated with saving my money and feeling like "I did it, I beat the system that makes my fork over my hard earned dollars to huge coorporations!"  :)   If I save 35 bucks each week, that is over 120.00 dollars a month!  As for a stockpile, mine is tiny but so cute and growing.  I can shop in my own closet :)  Freakish...I know that is what you are thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment