Friday, March 11, 2011

Drama at the orthodontist

How embarrasing!!  Yesterday was such a nice day.  I ignored my school work and took the little boys to the zoo.  It was a brilliantly sunny day and the animals were out and playing(heck, the lions were really playing if you know what I  mean!).  I took amazing pics of the boys, but alas, accidentally deleted them.
Then, came the every 3months check up for Dillon a the orthodontist.  I've described before his underbite and malocclusion.  He'll need intesive orthodontia at some point.  We got there at 4.  By 4:30 the doctor hadn't come to Dillon' chair.  He was getting really antsy and didn't want to play the supplied PSP anymore.  The assistant let him and Hudson play with toys and little equipment.  Dillon was getting really riled up!  I pulled him aside and told him, a bit harshly through gritted teeth, to act like a big boy and sit down for the orthodontist.  Not the most therapeutic response late in the evening after a full day of zoo fun.

Tears shot 5 feet in the air.....right when the doctor came to check Dillon.  NO amount of cajouling, bribing, negotiating, or threatening could make Dillon sit and open his mouth.  I picked him up to help him re-regulate his system(if you have a kid with Sensory Integration Disorder you understand).  At this emptying of the dental chair, Hudson took his cue.  He climbed in the chair.  A lady gave him a fake dental mirror and Hudson hammed it up.  SIX, no less, dental assistant women were standing around admiring and laughing.  Hudson put the mirror in his mouth, opened wide, and said "aaahhhhh".  The ladies died laughing and took out their cell phones to take pictures.  I was mortified.  In the mean-time, Dillon was offered chocolate by the orthodontist!  At the end, we played the adoption card.  Really, the doctor is an older man and he brought it up.  He leaned over, patted Dillon's back and said "I know you've adopted these boys, he probably had a bad experience with a doctor."  I nodded and smiled and said "Yes, he has a had a hard time!"

So, big deal.  I played the adoption card.  It was so embarassing to see the drama and circus with the boys. At least this way the office personnel or the doctor weren't made at us for wasting an hour of their time!!  Sue me.

No comments:

Post a Comment