Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Clueless or just plain rude?

We've had our share of stupid comments and/or questions over the years.  Funny how strangers feel entitled to ask about your fertility, how your children joined your family and your motivations to adopt, how much it costs and all kinds of personal questions.  Really, it doesn't happen near as frequently as it used to.  Last week I experienced the end all of annoying conversations.

I was in a fast food restaurant that, I swear, fries everything but the sweet tea!  It was me, Abby, Dillon, and Hudson.  There was a line and we were waiting.  This grandmotherly women was in front of us with 2 boys, about 9 yrs old.  She looked at me, looked at the kids, and smiled.  I braced myself because my spidey-nerves were tingling.  I could see the ignorance that was about to come my way.  "Where did you get these kids from?"  Yep, the kids were standing right there.  I tried to fake that I didn't know what she was talking about.  So, I said "What do you mean, oh, you mean originally?  They were born in Korea."  I patted Dillon's head and smiled through clenched teeth--my sweet Southern way of signaling her to back off.  Didn't work.  She asked "So, they aren't natural brothers and sister?"  Seriously, my blood pressure had to have shot up to 200 systolic.  I was feeling the heat in my face.  I said "They are now!"  The grandson piped up and said "So, are they adopted or something?"  I smiled at him and nodded my head.  The other boy who was standing there said "Sssh, you're not supposed to talk about that."  To this, ignoramous grandmother said "Oh, it's alright, just look at them, it's obvious they were adopted, they are Oriental" 

I have never experienced such blatant disregard for people's feelings.  Thank goodness it was their turn to order.  I know she didn't mean to be ugly and offensive.  She probably thought she was quite enlightened. 


By the way, rugs and food are Oriental, people are Asian.
Becoming a sibling through adoption is just as natural as giving birth.

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love how you ended it. If only you had a pamphlet on Adoption and how to approach the conversation with a few brain cells!! God bless her, she had no clue. Imaging if you had a child who was born in Africa!

    ReplyDelete