Thursday, May 27, 2010

I love the TB clinic at the Health Dept.

Hmmm, I'd bet a million bucks nobody out there has heard someone say that before!  Let me explain.  Hudson was exposed to TB in Korea.  No, he isn't contagious or does he have TB.  But, he must take 9months(yep, that's right, I'm supposed to remember to give him a medicine every night for 9months UGH) of prophylactic anitinfective tablets.  Now, I'll be honest--as always, you guys know I like to keep it real--- the first visit there I hated it!  We had to drive into the city and go to the TB clinic inside the Public Health Dept, in the hood!  You know how in every city there are street corners that most of us drive down only if absolutely necessary, and don't make eye contact with people??  Well, that is where this place is.  I was a bit afraid to inhale when we visited the first time, just in case germs where flying around.  So, my heart has done a 180.  Or, to be more accurate, the Holy Spirit has melted my haughty heart and opened my eyes.

Our last visit was so fun and I left smiling.  In the little waiting room were 2 young women I'm assuming were from Africa(I'm not stereotyping, I work at a very large hospital in the city with people from all over the world and am used to hearing the languages and seeing people from many nations), an elderly couple from what I think is India(my friend adopting from Nepal thinks they may have been Nepali)-she was wearing a traditional Sari, a few Hispanics, an African-American gentleman, Hudson and I, and a lady that looked to be from Cambodia-wearing traditional colorful skirts that don't match, flip flops,and large woven purse.  There are posters in the waiting room advertising help for people caught in human-trafficking.  It is a horrible reality that many many of the young women promised "good jobs in America" are actually forced to work in the sex industry.  Sick indictment on the US isn't it? I was thinking what a humongous ministry opportunity it would be if a group could couple up with the public health dept and get connected with these new immigrants.  So, I marched up to the the lady working at the counter and asked her if anybody came in to minister to the immigrants.  She looked at me like I'm off my rocker and mentioned only one group, Catholic Charities.  Hmmmmm, my mind is developing something kinda nutty but really fun!  Any ideas out there?

Oh, and I must mention church this past Sunday.  We have just gotten a new pastor.  We've been waiting a long time praying for the man God wants at our church.  The place was super charged Sunday.  The music was totally rockin.  I was looking around at the praise team and congregation.  I saw sweet friends from Brazil, Ecaudor, Korea, Hong Kong, total of 6 children adopted from South Korea, 8 African American children with white parents, many biracial couples, a woman from India in a Sari, a 14yr old girl in front of us in a wheelchair, a young woman across the aisle who has Down's Syndrome, a lot of Hispanic families.  Ohhhh, it makes me smile and think how amazing heaven will be.  Revelation 7:9 says
After this I looked and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and in front of the Lamb. They were wearing white robes and were holding palm branches in their hands.
Then, just when I thought it couldn't get any better, the Pastor spoke on the cost of discipleship and quoted David Platt's Radical book.  I nearly jumped out of my chair! :)  This is gonna be an awesome ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment