Monday, April 26, 2010

Illness....yuck-oh!

I posted this on the Dillon Korea forum last night because Hudson's illnesses had me puzzled and really worried.  I think, in part, we solved some of the mystery.  You see he's been sick off and on pretty much since April 1, if not earlier than that.  He would spike a high fever(like 103.5) and not have any other symptoms.  Oh, he'd be coughing and wheezing at times, but that isn't really anything new for him.  The fever would last about 2 days, just to where I'd be thinking of taking him in to the doctor, then he'd be perfectly fine, running around like a madman, and I'd cancel our appt.  He'd be well for several days and then it would happen again, you guessed it, always on Fridays!!  He is such a cheerful and tough as nails kid that he never really appeared ill or I would have taken him back to the doctor(we'd already ruled out strep and ears lately). Plus, it is really quite common for kids newly brought into the States to be sick a lot their first year home.  Their immune systems haven't been exposed to the same illnesses.
After running fever last night of 102  not eating hardly at all since last Monday(food is his biggest love so you know something is wrong!) I took him in today.  BOY, am I glad I did!  The poor child was soooo sick at the office.  His white blood count was 20,000 which is twice normal.  His chest xray showed pneumonia and a little atelectasis, which means some of the tiny air passages had collapsed.  I felt like the worst nurse/mother ever!  He got a shot and a prescription.  We are doing nebulizer treatments three times a day and chest percussion-which he despises. 
Dillon had pneumonia a few years ago and acted totally different.  He was really sick one night and had trouble breathing.  I knew what it was and took him right in.  Hudson is a different breed--he is like a short and tough wrestler who doesn't show when he's down.  Guess next time he quits eating, I'll jump on it ;)
I just want to say this too, thank you God for health insurance, our pediatrician who saw us within 2 hours of me calling this morning, labs and xrays in the office, medicines that work quickly!  After working with people who have no access to medical care in Haiti, I hope I repent the next time I complain about insurance, waiting, meds and such.  We are soooooo blessed here!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. OH No LIbby so sorry Hudson was so sick and you didn't even know!! Don't beat yourself up as I would have done the EXACT same thing and not worried a bit till the food thing happened!

    Praying he feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete