Sunday, December 30, 2012

Jen Hatmaker's blog post and my Les Mis review

I really should post about Christmas.  It was a very nice and fun time for the whole family.  We had Christmas at Mike's Grandma's, Christmas at my sister's, Christmas at my Aunt Barbara's, Christmas morning at our house, then Christmas at Mike's mother's. Lots of eating, lots of hugging, lots of gifts, lots of laughing, lots of fun!  Christmas is plain fun, but, it is plain exhuasting also.  I swear I'm going to go on a brocolli and water fast to get all the rich and sweet food out of my system :)  The pics just got loaded so I'll post Christmas in a few days.  Alas, what I'm really interested in is this:

Jen Hatmaker - BLOG

Anyone who has followed Psalm139verse14 blog for any length of time knows my adoration for Jen Hatmaker:  real, honest, raw, brilliant yet down to earth, wife, momma, lover of Jesus, champion for the orphan and poor, trailblazer.....basically exactly who I want to be when I grow up!  The post about the Proverbs 31 woman was wonderful.  Go read and be blessed.

Switching topics now.  yesterday Mike and I saw Les Mis movie and it was incredible! Mike and I are Les Mis afficianodos and know most of it line by line(we listen to the soundtrack when driving). Here is my recap: Hugh Jackman was comptelety brilliant and will win an Oscar, hands down. As good as Hugh was, there is no one who can sing "Bring Him Home" like Alfie Bowe. Anne Hathaway was brilliant also and sang "I Dreamed a Dream" better than Lea Salango.... I cried like a baby during that song. Russell Crowe--average. Did you catch that the priest played Jean Val Jean in the original Les Mis on stage? So cool! Eponine was the same actress as in the 25th Anniversary edition and was super awesome! Bad part about seeing it in a movie theater. I wanted to clap and whistle after "One Day More", but it was silent in the theater in small suburbia Texas. One more thing: the adoption story was much more powerful in the movie than on stage. I can't help but think Hugh Jackman influenced that seeing as how he is an adoptive parent.  The threads of redemption were wonderful.  It was so powerful and heartbreaking to understand that the oppression and abuses in the story are not an 1800's problem.  We can't look at the play and think "boy, that was a dark time."  NO, that is OUR world now!  163 million orphaned children, sex trafficking of women and children, labor camps in China, the woman who was raped and beaten to her death in India last week, 22000 children die of starvation and diarrhea every DAY, our world is exactly the same!!  Please people, open your eyes and see the realities outside your perfect little bubble.

No comments:

Post a Comment