Monday, December 17, 2012

Accidental Christmas season

Any one else have accidental Christmas?  Sound weird?  What I mean is that I haven't done anything to deliberately enjoy the Christmas season. It stumbles upon me in a flash, stresses me out and makes me sick to see such waste and pomp, then bam, it is over and I look back wishing I'd made it special!  Here it is Deceber 17th and I've not taken one moment to deliberately, consciously, methodically plan a family memory.  I get over taken by the "if onlys", like "if only people would just get back to the simple basics of Christmas--Jesus humbling himself to be born poor and lowly", or "if only people would spend the same amount on orphan care as they spend of sparkles, bows, candy, and batteries", and of course, the "if only we could drive to a cabin in the mountains and spend Christmas simply--with nature and just our family."
Sadly, the 20 first-graders who are no longer with their families made me realize the importance of making memories.  As I look at my tree with the ornaments clumped in the bottom center brances, just at a 5yr old's level, I remember we are not promised our next breath. What will my children remember as special to our family each Christmas?  Will they make fun of Scrooge-mom who bellyached about spending money?  I've got to relax and have some Christmas fun!  These 4 kids are growing so fast.  In fact, Carter will miss his first family Christmas event this coming weekend.  He was given a ticket to see Trans-Siberian Orchestra at the AAC in Dallas this Sunday.  For the first time, he won't be at my parents' Christmas celebration.  Very sad for me and for my parents(especially my dad, he and Carter are 2 peas in a pod and disappear for hours playing guitars together).  Alas, children grow up and live their own lives. 
This past weekend we had Christmas with Mike's family.  It was a sweet and simple time at Grandma's house in the country, playing with cousins.
Geez, whose weirdos are the 2 little ones???  :)

PS.  Family pics remind me of those with no family.  Ive named the 2yr old little Korean boy on the Waiting Child site(to pray specifically for him and I think the name fits him!).  Anybody have a heart string tugged to call him son??

No comments:

Post a Comment