Sunday, December 9, 2012

Meet my hero right now: my son Dillon


Dillon is in his school choir.  He wanted to join at the beginning of the year.  We certainly were happy for him to try.  I'm so stinkin' proud of this child.  It has been difficult!  Not many kids would have had the guts to even try.  Dillon has several "differences" and the biggest obstacle he has in life is communication.  He has apraxia of speech and an articulation disorder which make the mechanics of singing nearly impossible.  It has been challenging and he wanted to quit.  Mike and I decided he needed to stick it out through this semester and then he could quit.  So, las week was his holiday concert.  He was so excited to wear dress clothes and be on stage.  Below is a video I took of him practicing at home.  He was SO serious and tries so hard!



Psalm 147:1 How good it is to sing praises to our God, how pleasant and fitting to praise him!




The concert was great and he did awesome(except for the total lack of mentioning Jesus and the REAL meaning of Christmas--it is a public school and I guess they are allowed to only sing about Frosty, Santa, and reindeer).
Anyway, the moral of this post is this:  My son Dillon wants to try!  He has more limitations than anyone in our family, but that does not stop him from taking risks, trying hard things, and putting himself out there.  He starts Upward Basketball next week.  Physically, his body doesn't quit click like typcially developing 10yr olds.  However, the boy loves sports and practices shooting basketballs almost every day.  I admire his strength and character.  He is my role model right now.  I don't have any limitations or challenges that prevent me from doing what I want to do.  My graduate program begins in 5 weeks and I'm scared!  Ive thought about quitting before I even start.  Shame on me for being a wimp.  I have all the strenghths and gifts I need to accomplish the program, the only thing holding me back is that it will be hardwork.  May I, and all of you reading this,  not take our strenghths and gifts for granted.  May we try hard things and take risks!  Let's be like Dillon!
Colossians 3:23 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men,

1 comment:

  1. So proud of him! So proud of you too! Got your crack up card. Faber and I both laughed out loud because it is SO TRUE! Ha!

    ReplyDelete