Wednesday, October 24, 2012

More trip details

It occurred to me that I've not given much detail on what Seoul is like.  This is my 4th trip here and so many of the unique details are not new to me.  Let me start from the beginning.  Seoul is a city of 12 million people.  It is packed in to small land masses so high rise buildings are everywhere.  People live in apartment buildings.  It is very modern, very clean, very busy and crowded, but easy to navigate. Almost every person under the age of 30 speaks some English.  They have fantastic public transportation and puts Texas to shame in that area. 
 We've eaten like kings.  The Korean people are very gracious and proud.  They try so hard to impress us.  As I said earlier, it is like we are traveling diplomats.  Here we are about to enjoy traditional Korean Bulgogi

Monday we traveled to another province.  The countryside in Korea is very beautiful.  It is mountainous and the trees are changing for fall.  It reminded me of when we lived in North Virginia and the Blue Ridge Parkway.


 Yesterday we met with Dr. Kim, the president of Eastern Social Welfare Society.  She is wise and gracious.  She described to us that they have 400 babies in their care and are overwhelmed because less and less people are willing to foster the babies.  And, adoptions have slowed down to a mere trickle due to the Korean government.  I wish I could have just a few minutes with the  lawmakers to help them understand how many people are thrilled to give the babies loving homes.  I met with Hudson's foster mother after lunch. Oh so precious!! She was very emotional and happy to see me again. But, when I gave her the beautiful scrapbook that my sister, Emily, made for her, she rubbed Seong Cheol's(Hudson) little face and cried! It was a treasure for her and her family. She said that he was the longest child she'd ever cared for (21months) and he was a perfect baby...always happy and all her neighbors loved him. When I showed her the video of him on my phone she couldn't believe his voice and smile. Such a sweet time. She couldn't stay long because she currently is fostering 2 four month old babies and her daughter was at home watching them. Thank you Mrs. L for selfless love and sacrifice! Because of you, he had a wonderful first 21 months of life and is healthy and happy.


We also spent time with the babies yesterday.  Really, that is what I want to do most of the time.  I hear them crying in the nursery and want to go pick them up.  I was wrong about the number.  Dr. Kim told us that there are 60 babies in the nursery!!  

 I held a tiny newborn who suckled my cheek.  It really broke my heart that she had that God-given instinct to suckle and yet had no momma to nurse.  This baby lives with 60 other babies.  Eastern provides amazing care and I'm so impressed.  However, it isn't a family.





Last night we spent time with unwed pregnant women.  We made a blessing tree with the ladies.  After breaking through the language barrier, we made a beautiful craft that has blessings for their babies written on the trees.  
Today we will spend the day at a community center.  I'm looking forward to serving with the senior citizens and delivering lunches to them.  I face timed with Mike and the boys last night.  They are all doing really well.  It was great to see them in action and also to see my house :)  Abby is an awesome traveler and doing great.  The group we are with is fantastic.  There is always that one person in mission groups that drives everyone nuts.  Not this group.  Every person is a wonderful friend and we feel like we've known each other for years.  My mom has made sweet friends with several ladies. One more day.  We fly out tomorrow at 5pm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment