Friday, February 17, 2012

finished the book--passing it on to you

Kisses From Katie, by Katie Davis

For those of you who haven't heard about her work, Katie Davis is a young(26 or 27yr old) woman from Brentwood, TN.  She grew up in a priveleged home and felt called to minister to orphans in Uganda as soon as she graduated from highschool.  Within the next 3 years, she adopted 14 little glorious girls who were orphaned, alone and hungry.  She started a school-sponsorship and feeding program that takes care of 400 children(please click on the Amazima "button" on the upper right corner of this blog to view the ministry AND support it).  She also operates an open-door policy providing medical care, food, and shelter to the tossed aside and neglected people in her village.  If you don't want to open your eyes to the individual realities of 143 million orphaned children in the world, then please don't read this true story. She describes 18 pound 3yr olds and a sibling group of 7 children, orphaned and living alone in a one-room shack.  However, I recommend it.  It is a delightful and thought-provoking read because it displays how powerful one person can be when he/she simply says "Yes" to what God asks and how God does miraculous things through that one person.  It isn't nearly as edgy as Radical by David Platt, but inspiring for certain!  I leave you with an excerpt.  She is describing when she first took in Sumini, a 5 year old sweet girl who was in terrible medical shape.  Remember, this happened when Katie was about 20 years old, when she could have been driving a cute convertible, wearing Miss Me  jeans on her college campus, tossing 5 bucks a day to support a coffe habit, living a self-absorbed life. 
But, instead, she chose to obey Jesus and is living life to the abundance, one child at a time(oooh, I want to be like her when I grow up someday!)

  "As I sat up late that night trying to keep her alive one minute, one breath at a time, I had to ask myself, Why do I have so mujch?  And why have I always had so much?  Why do my family and friends have so much?  And do they evenknow that far, far away from the luxuries of the wesern world, a little songbird of a girl is fighting for her life?  The roles could have so easily been reversed.  I wondered how God had chosen me to be born into such luxury when this little girl had been born into such hopelessness.  I thought, She is a girl with as many hopes and draems as those who rest peacefully in air-conditioned houses protected by alarm systems.  yet her body is on fire with raging fever, my sheets are soaked.  And right now, she has no one to care for her but me.

No comments:

Post a Comment