Thursday, February 9, 2012

5th graders serve the homeless

On Monday, Abby's 5th grade class took a field trip away from the comfy, homogenous suburbs and went to "that side of town" in the city.  Run down, abandoned buildings, and  people wandering in the streets.  The type of neighborhood that you lock your car doors in.  We went to an amazing ministry that serves the homeless and neglected population.  The kids were divided in to 3 teams.  Abby and I were on the kitchen team.  We served breakfast, prepared lunch, cleaned the dining room, and then the kids served lunch. The kids were precious and worked so hard.  They had zero reservations about working and serving.  I was so proud!  In the chapel time, Abby got up front and gave her testimony.  She shocked me!  She is usually quiet and reserved.  Girl, she preached it!   She told them about how "Jesus died for our sins and resurrected from the dead."  Go girl. 

 Serving line for breakfast.  I can't show you pics of the "clients" because they told us that some are on the lamb and can't have their faces shown! 


Wow, someone actually has proof that I am at functions, not just the photographer.  Hey, check it, I'm wearing my darn cute Hello-Somebody watch...that supports a feeding program and I'm at an inner-city feeding program.  Cool beans :)

Here is Abby serving a tray to a client.  They get huge lunch portions because the ministry doesn't serve dinner.  So, the clients have to eat a huge lunch to last until the next mornings breakfast. 
Now, you've seen an 11yr old serve...get out and stretch yourself.  You'll be glad you did. 
On that last note, I decided that for my workshop on March 3, I'm teaching about how to live an "outward focused life."  The title is "Me, myself, and I.  Train yourself, and your children, to live with an others focus in a self obsessed world."  Come join me , if you live near me.  Pray for me to speak the words the Lord wants me to say...I'm not a really gifted speaker.

No comments:

Post a Comment