Monday, November 11, 2013

My time with Jen Hatmaker

So that title was a tad misleading :)  I actually DID meet her and speak with her a few sentences.  Friday night I drove to my sweet friend, Meredith's home and spent the night.  We had a blast sitting up and talking.  Then the next morning, we picked up a couple more friends and went to a short and wonderful ladies' retreat in East Texas.  Jen was the featured speaker.  It was the sweetest thing.  I don't think 3/4 of those ladies had a clue who she was nor how BIG of a deal she is much less had read any of her books!  The church was a small and intimate old fashioned Baptist church.  Jen was awesome.  I was literally sitting 2 rows back middle--directly in front of her. When we met her, she was so real and approachable.  You will be pleased to  know that I did not act a fool and embarrass myself.  I did tell her that she and I were on the same brain wavelength and that I have been to the ministry that she loves so much in Haiti.  She signed my worn out and flagged copy of "7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess" (I personally believe it is one of the most crucial books of the generation).  I had told my mom that Jen didn't know it, but she had a lot riding on this conference.  I was praying for the Holy Spirit to speak ever so clearly to me about some big life decisions right now:  clear vision and direction for my continued school, if I should join my sweet friend Christi for a mission trip in Haiti again this summer, and what to do with our vehicle situation (long story). Well, I loved every minute of my time and heard the Lord speak to me.  Unfortunately, not in any of the above situations.  So, I registered for my next classs (advanced pharmacology), I'm definitely leaning towards Haiti (when I reflect on my adventure there 3.5 years ago...crossing rivers in hollowed out trees, trekking through mountains with medical supplies and food) how could I not say YES?  As for the vehicles....we are still praying for wisdom.  Mer...I love you friend and had sooooo much fun with you, Kelly, and Carrie. To my hubby, thank you for always encouraging me to go and experience life.  I know my treks are hard on you sometimes.  But, OH, the great experiences I've had over the years.  You never ever act like it is an inconvenience and you encourage me to branch out, live life to the fullest!

"We feel like our job is to make the gospel right, but Jesus says we are to make the gospel real"
"I refuse to sit idle in my luxuries while the world starves and grieves"---Jen Hatmaker

1 comment:

  1. Libby! It was such a joy to meet you finally! We really need to work on our "betting on the lunch menu" though! We must meet in the middle and hang out with Mer, so much to chat about!

    ReplyDelete