Monday, January 21, 2013

Jen, my twin brain I've never met, did it again!

  Good gracious sakes, that crazy Jen Hatmaker(author of the greatest book EVER..."7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess") posted a great entry about parenting.  Coincidence, you say?  I think not! She doesn't know this, but she and I share the same brain--except she's a great writer and even more adventurous than I am. Her recent blog post is fantastic, hilarious, thought-provoking, and dang funny.  In the post, Jen addresses our society's crazy over-parenting syles where mommas stifle all the masculinity and bravery out of the boys and princess-ize their daughters to death.
 

"I like a little grit in my story. I often feel suffocated by my generation’s insistence on safety and control and perfection and hegemony. I genuinely like my kids to be a little wild and free. I want to have to say to my sons, “Only boys would think something like this up,” and pretend to be put out when really I’m enamored" (Hatmaker, 2013).

Why don't you go read it for yourselves.  www.jenhatmaker.com/blog

PS. Meredith, we've simply got to find a time we can go see Jen together! Darn my stupid job in healthcare--how dare people need nursing care on the weekends???



1 comment:

  1. I read the post last night...so true! Your post reminded me that i'd written you an email about the conference and forgot to send! Just emailed ya. I can't remember if I told you, I LOVED your last parenting post too!!!

    ReplyDelete