Wednesday, September 5, 2012

But I don't wanna serve

  There is a homeless ministry in the city that I volunteer at once a month.  It is a nutty place.  A little psycho, sweet, fun, touching, funny and annoying all at the same time.  The medical clinic is on Wednesdays.  I did NOT want to go today.  I'd promised one of the other nurses that I'd be there.  When I woke up this morning I wasn't in the mood.  Here's the dealio...sometimes I'm tired of taking care of others.  I have 4 children and I'm an ICU nurse.  Sometimes I'm tired of taking care of  people. Call in sick?  Nah, lame excuse.  Not show....now that is realllll mature...no show on the homeless people.  Anyways, I went.  I'm so glad I did.  I remembered that of all the blessings in my life, having choices has to be one of the top.  Hear me out here.  When you spend time with people in the poverty cycle, most markedly the homeless and medically indigent, you realize that they have few choices.  The eat the food the shelter hands out.  They see whatever doctor happens to volunteer in clinic that week.  They take whatever donated medicines will fit their conditions.  If they have a rotten tooth and need it pulled, they wait until the dentist comes every other week to pull teeth.  Today I had the pleasure of meeting 3 woman just released from prison and needed prescriptions for their diabetes.  Do you have any idea how hard it is to get the supplies and meds diabetics need?  A frustrating experience for sure.  I know, there are some of you reading thinking that these people made their poor life choices and are justly suffering, that they should "just get a job."  Mental illness and intellectually disability are prevelant in the homeless population.   As we were packing up to leave this afternoon, someone knocked on the door and said "a man out here needs to see someone."  The man was diaphoretic, clammy, pale, dizzy and looked like dog doodoo.  His blood pressure was in the 70's.  We called an ambulance because the clinic is for stable needs, not emergent needs.  It was great! Sorry, I'm a weirdo who likes crisis stuff. 
Sorry, rambling, the point of all this is....I'm glad I went.  God reminded me of my blessings and responsibility to the poor.
Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Proverbs 31:8

No comments:

Post a Comment