Friday, December 23, 2011

Last time (I hope)

I hope this is my last holiday season to work at the bedside in acute care.  After 15.5years, I'm pretty well done.  Don't get me wrong, I love my job, I love being a critical care/cardiac nurse, I love the sick patients, the monitors and labs and the iv's, the rapport I have built up with the docs, the other staff members, the adorable old people, the scared young people and everyone else in between.  But, alas, it is enough.  I'm ready for a steady, predictable job(yes, boring) where I work 3 8hour shifts or 2 12hr shifts and no weekends or holidays, no calls at 4:30 asking if I can come in extra due to short-staffing, no staying over until 8pm after leaving my house at 5:50am because a patient coded at 6pm and we are running around the unit trying to catch up, no more days of coming home late and kissing my little ones goodnight without seeing them at all that day. I'm not in a hurry or desperate, so I'm waiting and praying for the right position to come along.  Hopefully, this is my last Christmas Eve to work.

2 comments:

  1. My mom has been a nurse for almost 40 years. I think it's one of the hardest professions there is! I am a pharmacist and worked in a hospital for a long time...again worked with nurses all day. They are so unappreciated! They keep everyone ALIVE!!!!! Thank your service the last decade and a half! Congratulations on your last Christmas Eve! We received a 10 min dvd of our chubby cheeks today. He was laughing and dancing and I was crying:) I can't believe how big he has gotten. A year ago today we received the call for him. Soon ...soon! This will be our last Christmas eve without him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely understand Libby - sending prayers you find that exactly "right for you" job.

    ReplyDelete