Wednesday, November 9, 2011

What does a nurse do?

I stole an excerpt from my friend's Facebook status.  I don't know who wrote this, but if I did, I'd clap my hands and glady give he/she credit.  This a snippet of life as an acute care nurse
I make holding your hand seem like the most important thing in the world when you're scared. I can make your child breathe when they stop. I can help your father survive a heart attack. I make myself get out of bed at 5am to make sure your mother has the medicine she needs to live. I work all... ...day to save the lives of strangers. I make my family wait for dinner until I know your family member is taken care of. I make myself skip lunch so that I can make sure that everything I did for your husband today is charted. I make myself work weekends and holidays because people dont just get sick monday thru friday.



Today, I might save your life.

I LOVE this!  Of course, don't get the wrong idea, it's not all glamorous.  There is plenty of pee, poop, vomit, sputum and grumpiness to deal with too :)

No comments:

Post a Comment