Monday, April 18, 2011

parenting faux pas and a few random thoughts

We won't be winning a parenting of the year award any time soon.  May I just say that having a child with some special needs that include social awkwardness is always entertaining.  A sweet young couple at church asked Mike and I to mentor them(we've never mentored before and Lord knows we have no clue what we are doing--nobody mentored us, we just have stumbled along).  They have been married 8 months. Saturday night was our first get together.  We had them over to our home for dinner.  Dillon was in rare form.  During dinner he called out "Someone toot."  Basically, nobody was paying attention to him and this was how he got attention.  When we ignored him, he said it again.  Mike happened to be the one sitting next to him at the table.  Mike wasn't exactly thrilled with this behavior.

Then, yesterday, Dillon and Hudson were arguing(they vacillate between best buddies to enemies in a span of 30 seconds).  Mike heard Dillon call Hudson a whiney-butt.  Uh Oh, busted!  Where did he hear that?  You got it, ME!  I cannot tolerate whiney children and it would seem that I have occasionally let that term slip.  Sorry.  If you held us up as a model example of good Christian parenting, you had better find a new example.

Now, to a new subject.  I never posted a pic of the 4th grade Austin/San Antonio trip that Abby and I went on.  Below is a precious picture of Abby, her long time friend Catherine, and their sweet teacher.  They adore her.  Abby wants to be a teacher! 





Random stuff:
Yesterday at church we sang With Everything by Hillsongs.  Holy COW, it was so incredible I thought I was in Heaven, standing before Jesus.  Totally goose bumpy!!  It is so awesome to walk out of church and Mike says "What do we say everyweek?  I love our church!"

Today I start a new class:  Art Appreciation :(  Not sure what that has to do with furthering my Nursing education, but hey, I get to visit an art museum as part of it.

1 comment:

  1. Holy cow!!!! I had the exact same experience at church yesterday!!! I had goosebumps and SWEAR that we could be heard down the street with the passion everyone was singing with! I loved it!!! And I'm awaiting a "buddy" to get me through the rest of the AP process :)

    ReplyDelete