Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Hole In Our Gospel

Yep, new book!!  Yipppeeee.  You know I love reading challenging books.  Books that make you really question what you think is right, make you examine your heart and life, make you think outside the box.  Here's another one....The Hole In Our Gospel by Richard Stearns.
Basically, the author was a successful(in the world's eyes anyway) and rich guy, living the American Dream.  Then, God called him to be the president of World Vision.  Amazing story.  His heart was shattered when he traveled to a village in Uganda and met a 13yr old orphaned boy who was the head of his household, taking care of siblings with no parents--they died from HIV/AIDS.  Did you know there are 12million orphans in sub-Sahara Africa????   Anyway, this book totally speaks to my heart.  Here is how he sums up the way most of us live out the famous passage in Matthew 25 when Jesus says that whenever the people feed the hungry, clothed the naked, invited the stranger in....they were actually doing those things to Jesus.

For I was hungry, while you had all you needed.  I was thirsty, but you drank bottled water.  I was a stranger, and you wanted me deported.  I needed clothes, but you needed more clothes.  I was sick, and you pointed out the behaviors that led to my sickness.  I was in prison, and you said I was getting what I deserved.

Haven't finished the book yet but I'm plowing through it pretty quickly.  I'll keep ya posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment