Monday, May 18, 2009

Sobering Statistics

I read a book several months ago that broke my heart. Children of Hope by Vernon Brewer is about AIDS orphans in Africa. Honestly, I knew there was a huge problem, but seriously folks, this is a huge crisis!! Why don't we care about orphans in Africa? Why does the richest country in the world turn aside and refuse to acknowledge the millions of suffering children? I'll let you ponder the answers, I have some theories of my own, but they would not be popular, I'm sure! So, tonight I challenge your brain and heart to learn some statistics.

Every 14 seconds a child is orphaned by AIDS in Africa
15 million children have been orphaned by AIDS, a number that is expected to increase to 40 million by 2010
According to UNICEF, in Zimbabwe, 100 babies become HIV positive every day; and a child dies every 15minutes from HIV/AIDS
South Africa has an estimated 2.5 million orphans

And, the most disturbing of all!!! Barna Research group conducted a study and found that less than 3 percent of evangelical Christians said they would help a Christian organization minister to an AIDS orphan.
In the words of Gomer Pyle, "For Shame For Shame"!! Our thoughts and ideas about HIV/AIDS are irregardless when talking about orphans. The children are innocent and suffering. If you don't think orphans are super duper important to God's heart, you need to do a study of the Bible. Over and over God talks about caring for the fatherless and downtrodden.
Here is a great quote by Larry Jones, co-founder of Feed the Children "You can throw up your hands in despair(about the sheer numbers of children suffering)... or you can roll up your sleeves and get to work."

When I get to the end of my life, I want my Lord to say "Well done good and faithful servant." I sure don't want to hear Him say "when I was hungry, you stuffed your own belly with food you didn't need, When I was naked, You spent 65.00 on a pair of cool jeans." Forgive me and my complacency Lord Jesus. Show me how to make a difference for Kingdom value!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment