Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Isn't it funny how the ugly soon blends in?

Our house reno stalled out long ago.  We pretty much have zero funds to do any renovations/updating.  And, we have little time nor energy for such projects.  I find it really amusing how the hideous stuff we wanted to fix right away has now become the norm.  Not just the norm, but we don't even notice it really!  Can you relate?  For example, the kitchen is a concoction of cheap and dated golden oak wood(or wood-like products) coupled with popcorn ceiling, a large recessed fluorescent light and old appliances.  It was one of the things we wanted to update pretty quickly.  Truthfully, unless we are having company (which is rare), I don't even notice it anymore. Then there is the "game closet." It seems that homes built in 1983 needed much less storage for all the junk that 2013 parents buy for their kids.  We lost a good bit of closet space when we moved.  So, since April 25th, there have been 2 large boxes on the floor of the master bedroom containing family games. Heck, I even vacuumed around those boxes today!!!  UGH.  I'm not a clutter or junky person.  I keep a minimalist style home.  But, 2 large boxes are now part of my bedroom furniture.  We have grand ideas of building a long walk in closet for linens and games.  Let's see, that takes money, time, know-how, money, more time, more money...you get the picture.  Maybe we the kids move out and are self-sustaining we will renovate our house?

1 comment:

  1. I laughed at you vaccuuming around the boxes, because I do the exact same thing with my sewing machine!! It's stored in it's box on my bedroom floor. I've also come to realize that bedrooms in the 1960-1970's were sized for 2 or more kids, nowadays you have to buy a room/kid!! What ever happened to a 3 bedroom with 12x12 or 14x14 sizes?? Oh, that's right....game rooms, formal dining, media rooms and en suites for the master. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete