Sunday, July 21, 2013

She's enjoying Jesus and the ones gone on before

Grandmother died Friday night.  As I was leaving work that evening, I had a feeling I needed to go to the nursing home.  It was clear the time was quickly approaching.  She peacefully and quietly slipped away with family at the bedside.  97yrs old!  WOW.  I can't really grieve that she is gone.  Monday it was heartbreaking to see her all gnarled up in a ball and unresponsive...that was the time to grieve, that was not the way a dignified and vibrant person should live.  Today she is with Grandad, a baby cousin I never met, and several great-grandbabies that my sisters and I have miscarried and never met.  She is walking upright and no doubt giving the angels a run for their money.  My grandmother grew up in the hills of Arkansas on a farm.  She worked hard and played hard.  When she greeted you, she'd nearly pat your back so hard that your insides came out.  Grandmother would sit with us at the table in her little white frame house eating Fritos and looking at the J.C. Penney catalog, saying "How Cuuuuute". She could sew and crochet like nobody's business!  She taught Sunday School for a zillion years. She never judged her grandkids for stupid decisions, but supported us. What a precious gift the Lord gave me in my grandparents living so long.

1 comment: