Wednesday, July 17, 2013

You can't take it with you


And so, we started our week off tip top.  Monday morning I walked out to the van at 6:15 to leave for a class I had to teach at the hospital.  When I opened the door, I saw a gaping hole with wires sticking out.  We'd been robbed.  Carter's car had a nice new stereo with Bluetooth so his phone calls actually go through the stereo and he talks in a mounted microphone--handsfree so it is safer as he drives. Gone! My minivan had a new stereo with an iPod/phone hook up.  Gone.  Our glove boxes were open and all contents strewn about.  In case you're keeping count, that is 2 times in the past 6 months I've been robbed.
Mike's truck had been rifled through, but nothing removed.  Our cars were unlocked.  Stupid..yes. Seriously, our stuff is crap.  Carter's car is a 1998 Accord with 200,000 miles.  My minivan is 10 years old with 217,000 miles.  WHO I ask you, WHO on God's green earth would drive by our home and see those cars and think "Oooh, I need to steal their stuff." No lie...cop pulls up, gets out of the car and says to Mike and I "I heard the address and name on the scanner and thought, they just moved to that house!"  You see, it was the same cop that worked Carter's bicycle accident 2 days after we moved in to this house.  HaHa.  Sweet guy has been cruising our home every evening and morning (he works night shift). At first, my air conditioner wasn't working.  I figured out how to plug it back in and mount the dash.  My AC works.  No radio.  Today the little boys sang a combo of Jingle Bells and Old MacDonald while driving. Mike did install a big motion detector light over the driveway. It is amazing how creepy it is to think of a stranger in your beloved family car and looking at your glove box contents.



Next day, my sweet and vivacious 97 year old grandmother was placed in hospice care.  She's curled up in a fetal position and unresponsive, lying in a nursing home bed.  Cruel cruel way to spend your last few days.  She was hilarious and smart.  She used to say she was living on borrowed time because she was supposed to die in March when she was 83 years old.  The pic below was taken just 2 years ago.  It has been a hard 2 years.  Sweet Jesus take her home to full healing and let her sit in a rocker opposite Grandad and listen to the Gaither's sing



Here's my motto right now.  My dad made me this little sign 16 years ago.  I hung it up in my bathroom this week.


I'm going gray!  I bought this stuff a year ago and never used it.  Don't sweat the small stuff right?  Lord knows I've earned this gray


And these 2, boy oh boy, what can I say?  They are adorable and loving and maddening all in the same day. They argue and scheme mischief and mess. By 8pm each night, I cannot wait for them to go to sleep so I can have some silence.
  This picture cracks me up!  Dillon takes bb gun practice very seriously.  This morning he was telling me he shot a snake "it was looking at me" (SNL Brian Fellows anyone??).  And look at Hudson in the background.  PJ pants, swim shirt, and rubber fireman boots.  He's got his protective eyewear on.  I really am trying to force myself to put my schoolwork aside and enjoy these summer days of little boys (Abby and Carter are never home anymore).  They'll be gone in a moment

No comments:

Post a Comment