Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Chicago trip

We have loved our time in Chicago.  What a cool city.  Oh wait, first...our plane trip.  We flew from DFW at 6:55am.  Most people were snoozing(Mike included).  I made a great friend.  Adidti was flying home from a biochemistry conference.  She is a professor at U of Illinois. We had the best time and I wish we could hang out more often!  Back to Chicago...
Our impression thus far is that the downtown area is so beautiful, clean, wide sidewalks, art is everywhere, people are very nice, and it is super easy to get around. I'm just blown away by the architecture styles.  Beautifully kept old buildings next to skyscrapers.  It is stunning for a girl who grew up listening to her mom and dad comment on art-deco and Victorian style buildings.  The city truly has a commitment to the arts.  Sculptures, museums, and theaters are all over the downtown.  And the public transportation....a breeze!  Mike and I have a love for conquering major city's public transits and thus far have ridden subways and buses in D.C, NYC, Boston, Chicago, L.A., and Seoul. Poopooh on you major cities in Texas for you sucky transportation!!  Anyways, the elevated train was so easy to navigate and I loved being above the city as we were carted to destinations.  Walking the Magnificent Mile and Millennium Park was so cool. Wrigley field is really funny and cool.  I mean, a MLB stadium and it is smack dab in the middle of an OLD neighborhood.  The stadium is a historical icon and really cute.  It is so small compared to The Ballpark in Arlington were we are used to watching baseball games.  A few pics of our trip


 Standing on Navy Pier looking at the city
 Just gorgeous city scene, standing on the bridge over the river
 The adorable Wheaton train station where we caught the commuter train.
 Yes, we braved the sky deck, 103 stories!
The Cloud Gate


Now, all that being said, everything is not hunky dory in Chicago.  We rode the commuter train several times.  When you get out of the main downtown area, the neighborhoods look like decayed and crammed in old apartments.  Gang crime is really bad.  As much as I could totally live here, I'm so glad my children have lots and lots of open spaces and nature to run around in. 
Speaking of our children, I was so excited about being alone at the hotel Monday while Mike was at his school conference.  I'd been anticipating the quiet, the time to do whatever I pleased, and finish my schoolwork without having to say "Hudson, please be quiet for just a minute so mommy can do her homework."  So, Monday after I'd been alone a few hours, I was bored and walked down to the hotel pool.  There were some floaties and beach balls, but not a soul was there.  I got so sad and lonely and missed my kids!!  On the second day of the trip I missed them.  Good gravy, Libby!  I texted my friend Meredith and told her I thought I was a lunatic.  She assured me I was a normal momma :)
We go home in a few hours.  Thank you Mom and Kathy for helping with our crew

No comments:

Post a Comment